Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My growing setup. Any pointers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My growing setup. Any pointers?

I am new to this, my goal is to get these plants nice and healthy and ready for some extended time lapse sequences in my studio

For now, i have them in my workshop, this is the current setup. They seem to be doing ... ok... but im seeing some strange things. The pitcher plants are sort of elongating, my red-dragon flytrap is half red/half green and is also elongating. I think this had to do with my prior setup and it was stretching to reach the light from the window.

I am using an LED setup in my current timelapse set (non carniverous) and the plants are just bursting out in flowers. However in a few weeks i plan to scrap that set and move to the CV set.

Here are some pics of my setup for growing and maintaining. I am using 4 x four foot T5 flourescant lights from Hydropharm. I have this sitting about 3 inches above the 3 10 gallon aquariums. It is set on a timer that turns on at 6am and off at 9pm. I have a small fan that also turns on to keep the temp from skyrocketing. I use saran wrap to create a cover and have a little opening / flap in the front that i can easily adjust to change humidity.

It generally stays around 70% humidity and 84-87 degrees Fahrenheit when the light is on.

Does anybody see any obvious newbie mistakes? I have been trying to search through the forums and learn as much as i can, the problem is i am extremely taxed on time, and i am hoping somebody may be kind enough to just glance over this and let me know if there is anything i am doing wrong. So far the plants are still growing. The sundew put out some lovely purple flowers, but my red dragon trap looks strange and elongated. Sae with one of the pitcher plants.

Every week or so i pull the entire set out, i reduce the sphagnum around the plants to keep it off the center of the plants, and i have been cultivating it in these tubs. So far the sphagnum just LOVES this setup. hahahaha

What i really hope is to find the ideal and perfect conditions. I am very good at automation and would love to be able to track humidity and heat levels, add humidity, water, drain, etc all without having to touch the plants. But first i need to try to find the ideal conditions.

Im using distilled water and a sphagnum pete mix with no additives.

the sphagnum is a little bit full, i just added more water after this week cleaning.

and here are the pretty sundew flowers

Last edited by Chronos; 07-07-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the plants look good so far, but if you are planning on growing your collection at all, you should look at a bigger setup. You have multiple smaller tanks (are they ten gallons?), which is not very good for using up space efficiently. I would go for a 30+ gallon tank or a custom setup.

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have nearly enough light for that square footage of growing area and distance from the lights. Also, you don't need a terrarium for any of those plants. I would ditch the aquariums, set up a communal tray for the sundews, the Sarracenia, and the flytraps. Keep the Nepenthes separate because their water needs are different. Bring the T5s down to within 6 inches from everything but the Nepenthes. Put up mylar or at least aluminum foil around 3 sides of your growing area to reflect light better.

Proper light intensity is the single most important cultivation requirement for sundews, flytraps, and Sarracenia. Humidity, temperature, water levels are all things you should think about, but access to bright enough light makes the plants much more tolerant to wider ranges on these factors. With enough light your growth will be more compact and upright, firmer, and with better color, and the plants will be much happier.

The sticky ones are my favorite. Tacks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double post. Sorry.
    Last edited by Tacks; 07-08-2014 at 01:38 AM.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFT's & Sarracenias are outdoor / direct sunlight plants. They need the solar energy and they will need a dormancy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Jim. Those plants aren't suited for indoor growing, especially in a terrarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose i should add that i live in Colorado. Humidity is pretty hard to come by here, and i dont think carnivorous plants would survive. A greenhouse MIGHT be a possibility but not in the near future. So increasing light output should be a big priority?
    Last edited by Chronos; 07-08-2014 at 07:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that the sarrs/vft will have a big problem with it, as long as you acclimate them to outside conditions. My local nursery has a bog garden with sarrs, vfts, and some sundews that easily withstand our 90-100 temps and essentially no humidity during Santa Ana wind season.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast