What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leak-proof Grow Tents?

I've been growing my nepenthes in a Secret Jardin grow tent (4'x4'x8') for about a year, and I have no complaints except that it clearly wasn't designed for high-humidity growing. I have a sheet of plastic inside it on the bottom to hold most of the condensation that rolls down, but of course this won't stop all of it. The tent leaks slowly but steadily onto the floor below it (which is why it's sitting on another sheet of plastic -- I just towel up the puddle once a week). The metal frame inside is also coated in rust.

I suspect I'll have this problem with any tent I buy, but maybe you'll surprise me. Does anyone know of a tent designed to be drenched all day? I'm looking to get a bigger one and I'm tired of leaks. I might actually install misters if I knew the water would stay put. I'm tempted to just make one out of PVC pipe and thick plastic, but I know I'd miss the zippers.

Are there any hydroponics stores in your area? they may or may not have answers for you. I was wondering how well a grow tent would work for a nep. I guess this answers my question - it works well, if you don't mind the leakage...

Would it be possible, for your next tent, to seal it somehow? either with aquarium silicone along bottom seems, or spray-on waterproofing used for camping gear?

Back