Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Philips GreenPower LED flowering lamp trial

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be very interested in how the Ceph colors up under this light. Just a word of caution, I can not move a "green" ceph over to my high light shelf without serious leaf burn, I have to move them over to the lower light shelf then over to the higher light one. I don't know if you will have the same issue with this bulb.

As I've said many times before not all LEDs are created equal. The kits I've been using you can light a 24" X 12" area getting decent red coloration on Cephs for around $80-125, if you bump that up to around $200-225 for the same area you end up with

Ceph. 'Hummer's Giant'
    by randallsimpson, on Flickr

On the same note if you spent $200 on the Current Satellite Freshwater LED+, you get nice green Cephs.

Not all LEDs are created equally, you have to do your homework.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imho, good for a fun experiment, specimen plant, or that cool looking showpiece, but still not cost effective compared to other formats on a large scale
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 11-09-2014 at 06:10 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The think the cost effective part is going to come from the saving in power usage over the long term. For me it was just over 2.5 years the longer I use this LED setup the cheaper is becomes vs T5s or any other format. When I'm using 42W to light a 24" X 12" area enough to turn Cephs that color the power usage is the real winner here. Just under $21 a year in power costs for me. But yes a large scale would present a whole new batch of problems, I did assemble all these kits myself and if your lighting 20 feet X 4 feet + that would be weeks of assembly! With any bulb damage or repairs required taking hours instead of mins. But for an indoor mid scale grower they can be perfect, and cheaper than any other method out there.

Again every LED is different and you have to do your own research of you end up with the wrong product vs other formats you can much easier plug and play.

Either way thanks for testing these out and posting about it, practical LED use info is hard to come by.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are they doing for you in higher canopy plant applications?
    Would love to see more pictures of setups in heli and nep applications

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently moved over a few Nep amps and a bicalcarata into http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...uild-log/page3.

The bicalcarata took off like a weed (likely due to the constant ferts + increased light + increased heat) and I had to find it a new home (it grew from 6" to over 18" in about 4-6m. It just grew too fast and showed no signs of stopping. Yesterday I cut my Nep amp green at the base of the plant due to size issues. The other 2-3 amps in there are growing slower but nicely. Also a tray of Nep maxima seedlings are just starting to color up but I've mailed off most of the larger ones. These are in a 40 breeder I setup for orchid seedlings mainly. There are 24 of the CREE LEDs in that one so much less light than my two main Ceph racks. The few Cephs in the 40 breeder (36" X 18") are green/red for reference. I've been using Cephs as an indication for light levels since I have enough Cephs to actually do this and I'm using different color LEDs here and there so light meters are pretty useless.

Links for photos of the above plants
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...light=giveaway

As for Helis I only have a few they just don't like the TX summers, but I've put some in http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ic-Cooling-Fun! with 4 of the CREE LEDs. Again another project I put together to grow an orchid and added CPs to it. Here are two of the Helis in there, it is really hard to work in that box so without alot of effort I can not get photos of the others or better photos but since this is about the lights and not my inability to grow Helis they should work. For random people that may just be reading this...a wine chiller is NOT the proper way to grow Helis . But yes I'm growing some in there.

The primary reason I setup this chiller was for Dendrobium cuthbertsonii (750m-3000m, New Guinea) and it is growing just fine and currently in bud, although its been in bud for like 6m...every day its opening a tiny bit more. From my reading not unusual for this species to take that long. Once I'm sure I can grow this species long term I'll expand into a few other Guinea orchids. After all its only been 11 months and you know how these things go, a plant can be in decline for years and the grower not really notice it.

DSC_0832 by randallsimpson, on Flickr
    DSC_0833 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just for the fun of it....

specimen grown under the far red Philips Greenpower light.
    (excuse low res cell phone pic)
    note: Zero post processing other than crop and resize
    Image taken using same lighting

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good, Butch. Similar to what I've been seeing when using LEDs.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Matt, lovin' the red.

better cam, better pic

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast