What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Philips GreenPower LED flowering lamp trial

Not any type of endorsement... just results, ymmv
bulb.jpg

Light Details: http://www.hortamericas.com/images/stories/cl-G-Flowering_Lamp-0111-lr-uk_LR.pdf
Spectrum: DR/W/FR
Distance to plant: 15"
Photoperiod: 18/6
Test subject: Typical ping
Note: Sole source of lighting

One week:
ping.jpg

Operating temps:
temp.jpg

Observations:
Wide angle and highly diffused with no diffraction, lighting appears relatively natural.
Definitely follow the factory recommendation about open air mounting.

Av

This should be interesting, thanks for running this test.

Hopefully this will help with the myth that LEDs don't produce much heat:-))

Thanks for doing this, Jim. I considered trying one out, but would prefer to see how your trial goes first.

The 141.5F was measured about half way up the heatsink.
Ambient temps were approx. 72F at time of measurement

Last edited:
Wow, that is pretty hot to touch

Cooling of these led lights is always undersized. I would rig a fan to cool off the heatsink. Extends the lifetime of the lamp, too.

ping.jpg

1month.jpg

Ping growth, one month
Red arrow indicates reference leaf
Draw your own conclusions... ;-)
Think I will swap plants out this week,

Note: The dead material and APS do not appear so pink to the eye, they appear "normal".
I believe my cell phone camera is sensitive to the far red LED.

Last edited:
Do you have a "control" plant growing under "typical" lighting to compare it against?

No control? Hmm, I taught you better....:0o:

Science is about proving yourself right, not the alternatives wrong ( All praise thee, Jerry Falwell :angel: )

the intent was never if it was better than light "A" or "B", but if it would grow plants on its own...

so meh :p

Looking good B. :) Thanks for sharing your results.

are things still progressing nicely with this led setup?

are things still progressing nicely with this led setup?

actually, very well indeed..... the ping is still the test subject and it has done excellent.
It is currently in flower.... Ill endeavor to get some current pics this weekend.

Any and all updates on LEDs is greatly appreciated. I'm loving mine but they are nothing like these.

thank for that. I plan on making a change soon and this seems like an easier option for me. im not good at wiring up lights.

Just be careful which ones you pick I "stole" one of my wives Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ to test on some Cephs and they are still all green after many months, the underwater plants the LEDs were designed for are growing like mad thou. So the product is working for its intended purpose but I can't use them as a CP sub :(

not the best image, but taken this weekend with cell phone...
http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/led/IMG_1531.jpg
(Large file size)
Recently arrived ceph division was put in there a couple days ago

Ping has received no other lighting but the LED...
Distance to light is about 12-15"

man i just spent 200 dollars on a led kit :( how much are these lights and where can i get one?

Back