Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: indoor bog garden?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get lights bright enough to grow any plant you want indoors. The native bog orchids I keep get full sun, although they will supposedly tolerate a bit of shade. I currently have Spiranthes odorata 'Chadds Ford', and Calopogon tuberosus.In the old days metal halides and sodium vapor lights did a decent job. A 250W MH will light an area 2' x 3' bright enough to grow anything. But they do get hot! LEDs are more efficient, run much cooler, but are more expensive up front (but cheaper in the long run by far). As a rough example my cheap LED provides a comparable amount of lighting to a 20" x 18" area of reef tank 30" deep. And it uses 120W to do it. I'm pretty confident I could grow Sarrs under it and my bog orchids without question. But dormancy is going to be an issue. Better to stick with sub-tropical and tropical plants if you want a reasonably permanent display without having to routinely remove plants. A different approach would be to plan to cycle plants in and out of the display. In the winter remove the temperate plants either outside or into some controlled environment for dormancy, and move in some South African winter growing bog plants such as tuberous Sundews that grow during moist winters but need to be removed to get a dry summer dormancy. Which is when the temperates are doing their thing. I mean who wants to look at the same old plants all year anyway?
    Last edited by SubRosa; 07-22-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of tuberous Drosera, they are a very underappreciated group of plants. But for a beginner, aren't they a little bit too difficult (maybe except D. peltata)?
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well think of it i do have a old aboaned pong out back near the swamp, maybe i can work with that, does it look like it has the right lighting and stuff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems much too dark, most importantly. CPs that would grow in a bog garden generally want really bright light. You should take a look at some of the threads describing trips to native CP habitats.

Cthulhu138 has a very good thread covering his trip to the Green Swamp (Dionaea habitat). The pictures illustrate very well the large amounts of light CPs need to thrive: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...t=wild+dionaea
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12