Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: indoor bog garden?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

indoor bog garden?

i want to do a into bog garden using aquariums, and like could i adapt this for inside, and just use the right type of light system? and what about the sand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what plants you want to grow. Most of the upright Sarracenia species grow far too tall, even with enough lighting (2 foot+ pitchers). In addition, temperate species will need to be dug out and put in the fridge for dormancy, unless you want to move the whole thing outside for a few months (provided you have cold winters). For most temperate species, you will also need very bright lighting to keep them healthy. Aquariums are also undrained, and the soil at the bottom will probably get anaerobic and mucky very quickly.

If you just want to keep carnivorous plants indoors, that is a completely different story. In that case, name a few of the species you want to grow, and we can suggest some good setups.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    opps forgot to put this link (regarding the indoor adaption http://www.orchidmall.com/general/sphagbog.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a setup like that in the house, it will probably be quite messy and a chore to maintain. It's probably possible, but you will need really bright lighting, a place that won't get ruined from the peat and water, and a way to contain the water, among a host of other things.

In any case, what plants do you want to grow in it? You don't necessarily need a bog garden.
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    If you want a setup like that in the house, it will probably be quite messy and a chore to maintain. It's probably possible, but you will need really bright lighting, a place that won't get ruined from the peat and water, and a way to contain the water, among a host of other things.

In any case, what plants do you want to grow in it? You don't necessarily need a bog garden.
    well like to do any way, i would plant a a few cp and a few non ones that are listed on that site. what kind of lighting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good LED grow lights would be the best. You should expect to need a few tens of thousands of lumens per square meter.

I understand you want to grow CPs, but can you please give an idea of specifically what you want to put in it? (e.g. temperate sundews, venus fly traps, Sarracenia rubra). Different species have different lighting requirements, and some may not even like a bog garden. For example, Nepenthes would very quickly die in a bog garden, but something like Sarracenia purpurea would thrive.
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w03 View Post
    Good LED grow lights would be the best. You should expect to need a few tens of thousands of lumens per square meter.

I understand you want to grow CPs, but can you please give an idea of specifically what you want to put in it? (e.g. temperate sundews, venus fly traps, Sarracenia rubra). Different species have different lighting requirements, and some may not even like a bog garden. For example, Nepenthes would very quickly die in a bog garden, but something like Sarracenia purpurea would thrive.
    whatever works

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the species that like the bog environment are temperates, so you'll need to dig them up or move them outside every year for dormancy. There few tropical species that would survive in a bog, mostly easy Drosera (like capensis), and weedy Utricularia.

Try to avoid the taller temperate species like upright Sarracenia (e.g. S. flava, S. leucophylla). S. purpurea, rosea, and psittacina are probably your best bets for Sarracenia. Venus Flytraps shouldn't have any particular problems. Sundews like D. intermedia are also a good choice (D. filiformis can get tall though). Temperate Pinguicula might work, but many are somewhat difficult to maintain long term. All of these will need very bright light.

I don't have any experience with Bog Orchids, so you'll need to ask other people about that.
    Last edited by w03; 07-22-2014 at 03:41 PM.
    My meager growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast