Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED lighting

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense. The two I cited are I believe US made and aimed at terrestrial not aquatic plants. They are also quite pricey, and only the upper tier of stuff has timers or intensity/output controls, or a way to hook those up barring a plug in type. The Neosol has the drive/motor as part of the bar and uses no fan or fans. They say not "overdriving" the led's makes them last longer. The other company may make a similar claim, and at the higher end has many different color leds you can specify. I think they are both aimed at commercial large operations and universities, and decided to make a hobbyist rig or two. Here is a pic of the first one. http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...nt-grow-lightI saw it at a hydroponics store locally. Don't know why I did not ask to see it plugged in. I did see the BML one in operation. At the front of the store, they had an aquaponics setup. With a very large multibar fixture above the plants and fish below. Can't say I was that impressed. Not my cup of tea, I guess.
    Last edited by pearldiver; 12-28-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that link did not post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MXTWOIM

I was planning on going with the same route RSS took but I decided why not test out some more lights and ended up getting the one above. The reviews seem to suggest good results, and at half the price of the DIY kit and roughly 2x the coverage (2' x 2' supposedly), it would be great if it worked as intended.

Right now I'm planning on pulling some of my sarrs out of dormancy early or rescue a sarr from a nursery to test the light out, if it colors up and grows well I would assume it's working well.

I'll be making a thread when I start the testing, I think LED lights are an exciting advance in artificial lighting.
    Last edited by sss; 12-28-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a warning...with the red/blue lights you CAN NOT see how healthy/unhealthy your plants are I have a small area with R/B to test and they are growing fine but I can not just walk past them and see what they need.

For someone looking to grow in a smaller space they are a huge advancement, and the power saving are amazing.

The more reviews we get out the better imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Just a warning...with the red/blue lights you CAN NOT see how healthy/unhealthy your plants are I have a small area with R/B to test and they are growing fine but I can not just walk past them and see what they need.

For someone looking to grow in a smaller space they are a huge advancement, and the power saving are amazing.

The more reviews we get out the better imo.
    Yeah, I've seen pictures I would probably inspect my plants when the light is not running, because from what I understand it's not good to look at the purple light generated by these LEDs.

Assuming all goes well I will probably be investing in another brand down the line just to compare, but that's a bit in the future.
    Last edited by sss; 12-28-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SSS, I also purchased this item. I'm intending on testing it out, as soon as it gets here from China.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NatchGreyes View Post
    SSS, I also purchased this item. I'm intending on testing it out, as soon as it gets here from China.
    How many lumens does that fixture have? I can't seem to find the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was looking at something like this to add a bit of color to mine. Only have a 12x8x8 inch tank (fits 2 small Nepenthes in 3" and 4" pots and 1 pot of sarr seedlings currently in 3" pots). Not sure if something has tried this particular one but figured for $30 the cost-risk isnt much.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GNWK2XO/...9A7XROZV&psc=1
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast