Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LED lighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randoja View Post
    How many lumens does that fixture have? I can't seem to find the info.
    Not sure but it might not be listed because if I recall correctly lumens is not actually relevant to how good a light is for a plant. I think it was something like lumens is the brightness of all 3 colors of light together so technically a light with all 3 base colors could have more lumens but less red/blue light (the colors plants need) than a LED

I might be completely wrong here somebody correct me if I am.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Random info on lumens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit).

Basically a measurement of visible light, so R/B spectrums will not read very high on this scale while at the same time may be very bright as far as your plants are concerned. Lumen readings are great when your looking for a replacement light bulb for your kitchen, not so useful when talking about plants.

Once you introduce plants your really need to start looking at the lighting spectrum charts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jafvortex93 View Post
    i was looking at something like this to add a bit of color to mine. Only have a 12x8x8 inch tank (fits 2 small Nepenthes in 3" and 4" pots and 1 pot of sarr seedlings currently in 3" pots). Not sure if something has tried this particular one but figured for $30 the cost-risk isnt much.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GNWK2XO/...9A7XROZV&psc=1
    I have one of these as a supplemental light. I have it shining on one end of the grow rack to the other so it shines through the plants and most of them get a bit extra light. The young vfts and sarrs which are closest to the light seem to be enjoying it and seem to be increasing in growth speed and color. I've only had the light for 2 weeks though so it is a bit early to say. The bulb is extremely well constructed and feels like it should last a long time. It also runs very cool, doesn't seem to heat up at all. It is blindingly bright, much brighter than a 100 watt equivalent flourescent flood lamp. I'm not sure I'd use it as a sole source of light but as a supplement to flourescents it seems good. Doesn't noticeabley change the overall color of the lighting either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sss View Post
    Not sure but it might not be listed because if I recall correctly lumens is not actually relevant to how good a light is for a plant. I think it was something like lumens is the brightness of all 3 colors of light together so technically a light with all 3 base colors could have more lumens but less red/blue light (the colors plants need) than a LED

I might be completely wrong here somebody correct me if I am.
    It sounds like your'e correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Random info on lumens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit).

Basically a measurement of visible light, so R/B spectrums will not read very high on this scale while at the same time may be very bright as far as your plants are concerned. Lumen readings are great when your looking for a replacement light bulb for your kitchen, not so useful when talking about plants.

Once you introduce plants your really need to start looking at the lighting spectrum charts.
    Nice, thanks for the info Randall. Can you use lumens to compare power, in 2 fixtures with the same spectrum, and have it be a solid piece of data?
    Last edited by Randoja; 01-03-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NatchGreyes View Post
    SSS, I also purchased this item. I'm intending on testing it out, as soon as it gets here from China.
    It arrived today. Excellently packed. And, holy s* is it bright! In my brilliance I decided to look right at it as I turned it on to test it. Blinded myself and saw stars for a good few seconds after I turned it off. My one real complaint so far is the cord is so short. (I've also learned that two would fit over a 20 gallon tank). I only have one, placed right over my Pings (swapped out my T5s). I'll see how they react. If well, I might upgrade a few lights to LEDs. It's notably brighter than my 4 bulb, 2 foot T5 set. Not sure how that will translate in terms of plant growth, yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using LED light fixtures (meant for freshwater aquarium use) on my CPs for a couple of months now, and I have been encouraged by the results. Take this mini "bog" on my desk for example. The larger D. adelae on the left had a distinct greenish tinge on all the leaves when I got it on 24 Dec. 2014. As you can see, the leaves, especially the largest one with its first meal for the year, had turned reddish-purple. And this was achieved after about one week under the lights.

The LEDs look like this:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randoja View Post
    It sounds like your'e correct.

Nice, thanks for the info Randall. Can you use lumens to compare power, in 2 fixtures with the same spectrum, and have it be a solid piece of data?
    If they had the same spectrum you could but I've rarely seen two spectrum charts that were the same even from the same company in the same spectrum range. Generally the R/B/G mess these up enough. Here is an example of one of the spectrum charts, you would need to find one that matched really close to use lumens as a basis.

http://www.rapidled.com/productimage...urrent_image=1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123