Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED lighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LED lighting

I remember seeing a post a few years back where Av8tor1 experimented with LED lighting and showed remarkable results IMO. Has anyone else experimented with this since? Store bought (led grow panel) or DIY? Maybe Av8tor1 can pitch in if he's continued this experiment through the years.

Here's the post for those interested:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...highlight=leds
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a thread at CPUK, and I myself have made some DIY LED lights (pics/info in the thread): http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...howtopic=48350
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Thank you for the link.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody know anything about the Mudder E27 120 LED white 360degree corncob light bulb? I ordered one not long ago (it hasn't arrived yet) and I'm hoping it'll make it so I don't have to remove the hood from my terrarium to place this T-8 wall lamp over the plants.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visited a local shop and saw this fixture. Neosol LS 50.
    and another one by BML horticulture. Their literature sounds convincing in a way, however they say the common measures watts, lumens, etc. are poor determinants of how a fixture will perform. Most searches for vendors just rehash the makers info, and reviews are rare to non existent. I don't have the wherewithall to build from scratch so am looking at some already made. They mostly say beware the cheap Chinese made stuff and/or something similar. Wether a valid issue or not, if something is less good but adequate and one fifth the cost...do they simply make something more costly so it will cost more? it seems the more I look, the more I read, the more confused I get about led lights. A bit more intangible, is it better to get one for $100 and replace it each year for three years, or get one for $300 that lasts three years? But of course you don't know those things for sure going in, either.
    Last edited by pearldiver; 12-28-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason most say to be careful of untested stuff is simply some of them are junk....I mean real junk. Completely useless junk. LEDs are not like T12/T8/T5/CFLs the difference between the bad ones and the ok/good ones is massive.

A personal example...we purchased two http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-...ater-led-plus/ for an aquarium and they are working wonderfully for the intended design. Great aquatic plant growth and we are completely happy with them in the intended use. So with me being as I am, I stole one of the fixtures to test out with some Ceph seedlings and the results are VERY disappointing. Over twice the cost of the simple DIY kits I've been using, with 10 times the LEDs and no where near the light output. Again, we are perfectly happy with the fixture on the aquarium for which it was designed, but it simply does not have the output of the DIY kits I've been using.

This is why so many people don't want to recommend anything, its newish technology and the results can be all over the place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have an old hood without the light fixture in there anymore. I bought some LEDs to create a light panel, but I don't really know the next thing about doing this yourself. I need a power-source, and I've got a soldering iron, and I DO know how to solder. Any tips? I've got a LOT of LEDs in red, green and blue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast