User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Edible companion plants for Sarracenia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edible companion plants for Sarracenia?

What edible plants (for human consumption) can be grown in bog gardens with Sarracenia?
    Last edited by fdfederation; 09-04-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cranberry, Huckleberry (the real ones, genus Gaylussacia), Blueberries ( and what you misguided folks on the wrong side of the Mississippi call Huckleberries which are also genus Vaccinium) are easy picks off the top of my head. Understand that getting large yields of fruit might require fertilizing to a level that the Sarrs might not appreciate, or even tolerate.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    define edible for me. dead nettles might work out well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Cranberry, Huckleberry (the real ones, genus Gaylussacia), Blueberries ( and what you misguided folks on the wrong side of the Mississippi call Huckleberries which are also genus Vaccinium) are easy picks off the top of my head. Understand that getting large yields of fruit might require fertilizing to a level that the Sarrs might not appreciate, or even tolerate.
    I'm just considering plants for diversifying the Sarracenia pots. If they were to actually yield any fruits, it would be a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    define edible for me. dead nettles might work out well
    Lol. For this thread, I define 'edible' as 'the property of being able to be consumed safely by humans'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although they can become invasive, Sagittaria latifolia can be grown in similar conditions. Apios americana makes a nice vine but I would give it some space. Rosa palustris can also grow in similar conditions, although it does get pretty large and thorny. Put it does produce a pretty good number of hips. Water chestnuts could also work if your area is warm enough. Honestly I think the various bog Vaccinium sp are the way to go, though. But if you like diversity, like me, you may want to give some of the others a try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have taro in one of my bog gardens, you eat them like a potato, and they love the same wet conditions as my sarra and drosera.