User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I buried a trash can in my backyard last Spring.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I buried a trash can in my backyard last Spring.

The title says it all. Living way down south with no rain to speak of and really hot summers I've been trying for a few years to grow Sarrs. Well this year I've had my first success.

I took a 18"ish tall trash can and drilled drainage holes about 6" up all around the trash can then filed it with peat/sand. This would allow the top 12" of medium to drain while keeping some water in the bottom of the container. Dug a hole, picked up a Sarr from the local chain store and off the experiment went.

Following local watering rules I only watered twice a week at most and here are the results. Nothing amazing but the first Sarr to live through the 110 degree summer!

The Ping was more of an afterthough while repotting some indoor stuff late summer.
    DSC_0767 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

It looks so much better now than when we "saved" it from the store.
    DSC_0768 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

If everything goes well over the next year I might have to build a proper bog, seems depth is the key with the drought/heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow thats really neat! I never thought of using trashcans like that Was it hard to dig the hole?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashoke View Post
    Wow thats really neat! I never thought of using trashcans like that Was it hard to dig the hole?
    Not for me, my son was grounded! Every 15m or so I went outside and said "Nope, not deep enough yet. Keep digging"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ ha ha ha!

Something of a side note, there was a segment on NPR recently about the watering bans and the people who tend to break the watering rules, usually they're the politicians who are campaigning for the watering bans while the rest of the citizens follow the rules...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job OP!

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Something of a side note, there was a segment on NPR recently about the watering bans and the people who tend to break the watering rules, usually they're the politicians who are campaigning for the watering bans while the rest of the citizens follow the rules...
    Not to get too off track…but yes. This is a recurring theme. Here in CA we had state senator Leland Yee hard lining against firearms, introducing bills to further restrict our 2A rights in CA, and championing "public safety." Meanwhile he was working to import and traffic automatic weapons and rocket launchers from terrorists in the Philippines in return for payments and campaign contributions. Thankfully it was an FBI sting.

They have no shame.
    Last edited by BaseDrifter; 10-20-2014 at 02:29 AM.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool - I did something similar for my bog last year. The only real difference is that i drilled my holes about 6 inches from the top, rather than 6 inches from the bottom. Larger reservoir of moist peat meant less watering.

I live in an area that is generally not dry though. Droughts and watering restrictions are rare here. But once my bog was settled, I have not had to water it more than once per year.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was surprised that you put the drainage holes so far down. I would have had them at 4 - 6", more in line with Jen's.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast