What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for input for a new humidifier

Bio

Plant Whisperer
Recently, my current highland chamber humidifier/misting system broke, and I need advice from successful growers about what I should replace it with. Specifically, I am looking for a system that puts out more of a fog than mist, to allow for higher humidity to be attained without all of the excess water. I am also looking for a unit that will allow the fog to be piped into the chamber as there is no room in the chamber.

Thanks in advance for your help.

How big is the chamber? I have a simple ultrasonic humidifier, $35 at Walmart doing my 36" x 36" x 27" paludarium. It sits on top and the fog is piped down through pvc pipe. Along with a simple ultrasonic fog maker (about 1.5" in circumference) in the water section, it will solidly fog up the whole chamber in a couple minutes.

It is around the same size as yours, so I may have to look into that. How many gallons of water does the humidifier hold?

I have found these amazing
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-LED-U...586569?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item43ae178809
they are small, cheap, last longer than the $60-120 ones from the pet stores here (repti-fogger), and one unit will easily do a 3ft/1ft/2ft tank providing their is a small fan to circulate and their are not to many openings (a hole as big as a tennis ball is fine, any larger and the fog clears to fast.
This one has lights (just the first one I looked up then), but the ones I get don't have the lights as I find them annoying when the flicker (which they do)

I built one based on that design. I'll try to explain how I did it...

I used an ultrasonic fogger in a 5 gallon bucket. The bucket has a float valve through the side so that the water remains about 3" deep at all times. There is a 23 gallon reservoir sitting next to the bucket with a bulkhead and tubing connecting to the float valve. The lid of the bucket has 2 computer fans blowing into the bucket and there is a 2 inch bulkhead between them. I have used 2 inch ABS plumbing to pipe the output into the terrarium. The fans run 24/7 and the fogger turns on as necessary to maintain humidity.

So far my terrarium fogs up within about 30 seconds and the humidity and temperature are well controlled using this system.

Just when I thought my fogger setup was fancy.

I used an ultrasonic fogger in a 5 gallon bucket. The bucket has a float valve through the side so that the water remains about 3" deep at all times. There is a 23 gallon reservoir sitting next to the bucket with a bulkhead and tubing connecting to the float valve. The lid of the bucket has 2 computer fans blowing into the bucket and there is a 2 inch bulkhead between them. I have used 2 inch ABS plumbing to pipe the output into the terrarium. The fans run 24/7 and the fogger turns on as necessary to maintain humidity.

So far my terrarium fogs up within about 30 seconds and the humidity and temperature are well controlled using this system.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your setup. I am trying to replicate your setup for my terrarium.

Would you mind sharing what type of float valve you used in this setup?

Thanks
Mona

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your setup. I am trying to replicate your setup for my terrarium.

Would you mind sharing what type of float valve you used in this setup?

Thanks
Mona

Back