What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic environments for carnivorous plants and others.

These are beautiful!

I think you've happened upon an entirely new art form with this. It's like the "fairy gardens" the nursery I work at makes and sells, but with our fav plants instead of common flowers...
I was very into ceramics in high school and made a lot of pots I intend to eventually turn into mini planted bogs, but I think the designs of yours are well beyond the skill level I worked at.

Thank you for the compliment. My favorite material as a child was tin foil. I did hundreds of animals to play with, years before I entered school.
I can do it still now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlwWxz8omN0
Everyone can have a try there are more films explaining the tricks if something went wrong or you changed the idea.

I worked never while I was looking at pictures or the original animals. I was telling me stories about the animal and felt myself as this animal.
You see it took me ages to get into landscape. There are no words and not even the feeling of a body moving about.
I don’t think it’s actually skill its a way of feeling without aim or direction.
The easiest surface I discovered is to take a fork and scrape over the surface while it is still very soft in a snakelike fashion. Tiny movements to the side with your fingers holding the fork while you move the hand downwards will do the trick.

To hold the surface I put at first after modeling the earth (always more because it will sink in) some small pieces of my favorite moss Ctenidium molluscum or some other very tiny creeping moss on top. Put it in a light place in the shade with a rain cover.
Planting and eventual some dead wood after two or three months. My artificial wood is made also with a fork but afterwards I scrape it with a kind of metal brush when it’s dry.
But some kind of root from a pine forest will do nicely.

I am an artist now and I am a gardener as much. I hate to be torn between these two. So I had to combine it.

Last edited:
Back