What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, I finally began my winter set up for my plants

Well, I am finally done with second rounds of midterms in school and have some brain capacity to deal with winter care for my plants.

It is indeed too cold for my nepenthes for winter as the outdoor temperature in my area hovers around 40's.

Honestly, I can't find egg crates anywhere. except in Home depot and it's super thin and BIG. I'd have to cut it.

Any one have a suggestion on hydrometer?

I"m super excited because I finally figured everything out.

I really like this medal shelf since I can move the light anywhere in the house.

I chose the bedroom instead of my study room because it never gets any light in this room and is the coldest room in the house. Although, I may move it into my study room only because my room heats up the most when the heater is on. We'll see, how everything goes.

Couldn't have done it with all your inputs

IMG_2681_zpsbfcdb116.jpg

If we are thinking of the same kind of 'egg crate' you cut it down to shape, and then boost it up on something so it hovers and inch or so above the bottom of your terrarium.

Instead of those, I went to walmart, and got wire shelves designed to go in a fridge. I'll try and find a picture, so you know what I mean.

Be sure you get a Hygrometer - not a hydrometer.

Hygrometer measures humidity in the air, and can be purchased at most stores with a garden center. Look for them near the thermometers. Many units include both.

(Hydrometers measure specific gravity of fluids, such as salt content of water - very important for aquariums)

Here, this is one under my bicalc. They make some of them about a foot wide, or less, so they fit almost perfectly in a terrarium. Also, many are adjustable. Just check the kitchen section of your local department store.

Bicalcarata (12) by Jerabudragoness, on Flickr

I cant praise those little acurite meters more. I got one a few months back for the hobby myself wondering if it would do the job and it still keeps going strong after many days of 100% humidity, being dripped on, gotten wet/tropical, and taking general use and abuse. Mind you though, after time their screen sometimes will lose a digit or two, but they still work.
Very nice purchase for 10 bucks.

Okay, thanks for the review. I was going to look it at up the store but though eh i'll just give it a try. It's so cheap I honestly wouldn't mind replacing it. I like how it tracks the temp for me.

I had one of those in my Brazilian Rainbow boa cage - which humidity is usually 75%+ in, and it only lasted a few months. Then again, she had a habit of pulling it off the wall.

Back