User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Patchwork bog, various bog containers jointed to one natural looking extendable bog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible!

Hi! Im Quinton, and I'm addicted to CPs.... QSRUDDY's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned before....INCREDIBLE!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is simply gorgeous o_o
    ~Burgeoning connoisseur of all things ventricosa or otherwise tubby.~

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What they said.

Also, do you have to desalinize your coconut fiber mats? I always heard they were saturated with mineral deposits.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order to get an access path for the centre part of the bog I filled up a central gap with gravel.

Onto this some pieces of tough fleece to guard the pond liner against any sharp pieces I might have overlooked.

After I laid out the pond liner I prepared for the interior of the path. For the big stepping stones I laid out some smaller pieces of fleece and some coconut mats.
    Into this shallow bog went for a water reservoir 2 meters of a drainage tube covered with some fleece to prevent sand clogging the tube.

Then some smaller soft sandstone gravel and sand went into it.

Finally I had to set some stones for the entrance that my bog-path doesn’t run dry.

The pond liner went over the rim of the small pond and under the rim of the buckets to save excess water for the bog. Every plastic which showed up was covered with coconut mats.
    Last edited by axel; 11-30-2014 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That what it looks like now I already showed at the beginning

The coconut fiber mats stayed for a season outside in the rain and bad weather. But wasnt aware of this possible minaeral and salt contamination by then.
    These mats are soaked in latex (Packing material for metal pieces ) I dont know if it did work.
    Last edited by axel; 11-30-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In future I would cover the container rims with my handmade ceramic sculptures. The heavy not porous pieces are absolutely frost resistant. The porous ones will have their first winter now.
    The discussion about minerals and salt in coconut fiber came just now to my attention when people here started to discuss its merit as substitute for peat a week ago.

I hope the amount of minerals is not too bad in spite the total amount of peat and sand. Sphagnum grows very well. It will leak probably slowly into the substrate becaus of the latex. I canít do anything about it at the moment just watch and wait what happens

Thanks for the tip Corey
    Last edited by axel; 12-01-2014 at 02:40 PM.

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, Axel! I only have limited experience using those coconut mats with "normal" plants. It never hurt those. I also read that letting them soak in buckets of soft water or leaving them out in the rain for several months would wash the minerals out. Based on this, I bet they won't give you any problems. Given the size and volume of your setup I doubt a little bit of salt and mineral--should there be any--would cause you any problems anyway.

...and jeepers I am jealous! I can only hope to set up something as awesome as this when I end up in my next house. Congrats and keep us posted.
    Last edited by CorneliusSchrute; 12-07-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast