Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: results from my CREE XM-L2 LED grow light kit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would definitely work as well if you spread the lights out. I might actually take the lenses off for a wider spread, since even though i got the 80 degree lenses it seems most of the light still aims straight down. The plants on the very sides seem to be slightly less bright than those in the middle and you can also tell by looking at the pic i took on thanksgiving that the Sarracenia on the side are getting less light

BTW The lights sit about 12-16 inches from the tops of the plants, depending on how tall the pot and/or plant is.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-09-2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millipede View Post
    The lights were running at full capacity for the first 3 weeks or so. after the initial explosion of growth it started to seem like they were stalling and just turning more and more red. I turned the dimmer down to almost the lowest setting. I THINK it is running at about 1/3 of max power now. I've kept it at that setting for the past couple weeks. The plants are still doing just great and don't grow as compact or red. It seems about right to me. I took this picture on thanksgiving day:
    So with led's turning down the output reduces power consumption? I am thinking about how some light dimmers do a sort of shunt thing where power draw remains the same. I guess that does not apply?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you are getting some solid results!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearldiver View Post
    So with led's turning down the output reduces power consumption? I am thinking about how some light dimmers do a sort of shunt thing where power draw remains the same. I guess that does not apply?
    I have no idea. I'll write an email to them and ask about that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well obviously more power equals more light, so less power, less output. That shunt thing sounds very inefficient because that would mean the power that isn't cominng out as light, will be wasted into heat.
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably does not apply, and I am doing an apples and oranges comparison. On some lamps for home use the lamp will incorporate a dimmer. If you dim the light the power draw will remain the same, but the light output will drop as the dimming device is just bleeding off power in some fashion. I think they call that a shunt.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearldiver View Post
    I plugged in a power usage meter this morning and ran some tests the results are below. The quick answer is the dimmers increase/decrease power usage.

Ran 2 strips at about 50% power for 2:45 hours using up .06 KWH, turned the dimmers down to around 25% for 3 hours using up .02 KWH. Likely close to rolling up to .03 KWH.

At the power level I'm running these 2 strips at it costs me about $9-11 a year in electricity to light a 6" X 70" area enough to red/purple Cephs. Now setup costs were much higher than T5s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. where can i get one of those meters?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast