Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: results from my CREE XM-L2 LED grow light kit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

results from my CREE XM-L2 LED grow light kit

i purchased these two together and assembled it in my old fixture made originally for a 125w compact flourescent bulb.

http://www.rapidled.com/12-led-plug-...-kit-dimmable/
    http://www.rapidled.com/6-x-12-premi...and-enclosure/

i had them send me 6 Warm white 4 neutral white and 2 cool white. heres the fixture and the kit together and some other pics of it being put together. This kit is extreemly tedious to put together because of all of the little screws which dont seem to fit well to the LED boards

You can see here how the pc boards dont fit quite right to their intended slots.

the lenses are really neat

i was able to determine before hand whether the heatsink would fit into the flourescent lighting hood. we are good to go

useing a drill and a bit of brutishness i was able to get the light socket removed and installed the hardware to run the LEDs

everything plugs in and fits perfect

fully assembled and working!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so we've got that part out of the way. I had read RSS's thread earlier about his great results using these which is what prompted me to get my own. Here's his thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...uld-love-input!

at first when i lit up the lights i was very impressed by the spectrum. A flourescent light is very blue. These, since i got a mix of whites, seemed like a very bright sunset. It's pretty pleasing to look at and not harsh at all. right away you can tell theres a fuller spectrum there because it looks like REAL daylight

I took photos, once a week, for the first couple of weeks. These are from day 0, day 7, and finally day 14. I will let the results speak for themselves.

#############################

##########################

############################

###############################

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lights were running at full capacity for the first 3 weeks or so. after the initial explosion of growth it started to seem like they were stalling and just turning more and more red. I turned the dimmer down to almost the lowest setting. I THINK it is running at about 1/3 of max power now. I've kept it at that setting for the past couple weeks. The plants are still doing just great and don't grow as compact or red. It seems about right to me. I took this picture on thanksgiving day:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plants look great!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this, Millepede. It looks to be a great setup. So, it is powerful enough that it needed to be dimmed. Do you think this kit would work with the LEDs more spread out for a larger area?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously impressive results. Thanks for sharing.All the plants have coloured up great, and those pings look as though they are loving it
    Last edited by corky; 12-02-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking nice, glad to see some other plant types I don't grow are reacting to them well. Since you are using the XM-L and I'm using the XP-G its nice to see they are both tanning plants nicely.

With the black Friday sale I ordered my next set of replacement LEDs. I'm just ordering the moonlight kits and having them swap out the blue LEDs for a mix of the whites so I don't have to mess around with wiring a dimmer.

Those screws look so wrong for that heatsink...I've always used the thermal pads (special double stick tap). Although the Lenses you have are so much better to attach than the XP-G ones I've been ordering. About 1 in 6 or so XP-G lenses are cut wrong on the inside and need some "help" fitting right. The few XM-L lenses I've used worked so much better.

But to answer the real question, I'm not running ANY of my LEDs higher than 50-60% of the LEDs max power. About 65-75% the heat produced is just crazy. I'm spacing them between 2.5" - 5" depending on the amount of light I'm after, the % power setting, and lense angle. The massive amount of customization with LEDs is the real strength of this lighting. From power settings, color spectrums, lenses degrees, and spacing you can really make what you want.

Please keep in mind...Not all LEDs are created equally...do your homework or you may end up spending a lot of $$$ on a product that does not work well. LEDs are not like T5s, the good LEDs are good, the bad LEDs are bad.

Here is an example of a Ceph growing in the 2.5" 50ish% power rack, I just had them out in some nice slow pouring rain for half the day so they just screemed to have a pic taken.

Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant' by randallsimpson, on Flickr
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-09-2014 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Nomenclature

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, RSS. Those are the darkest Hummer's I have ever seen a photo of. Very nice.
    - Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast