Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures of an Alaskan Nepenthes Farmer

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the N. singalana x hamata better than I like the single-species hamata. Good color, great teeth. How small is miniature?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisconners View Post
    It amazes me that you can grow darlingtonia and vft's without them freezing to death.
    I've had quite a few freeze to death before. This winter has been really mild, though it looks like they might be ready to go come spring!

Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    You sure that is a pic of the rajah x jacq? I'm not seeing characteristics of either species in that....
    Envious of the attenboroughii, mine's still less than an inch across
    I'm pretty sure. I got the seeds from Jeremiah. This was the only plant that sprouted out of them all and it doesn't resemble any of the other seedlings that I've sprouted. The way that the over all plant is growing definitely makes the heritage seem believable, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    I like the N. singalana x hamata better than I like the single-species hamata. Good color, great teeth. How small is miniature?
    I've owned it for four years and this is a three inch pot I believe.

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good. Can't wait to see photos of the outdoor bog once spring gets started up for you.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Dexenthes;1194252]
    I'm pretty sure. I got the seeds from Jeremiah. This was the only plant that sprouted out of them all and it doesn't resemble any of the other seedlings that I've sprouted. The way that the over all plant is growing definitely makes the heritage seem believable, at least to me.
    QUOTE]

Do you have a pic of the whole plant? Mine is just starting to reach a size where I'm seeing hints of the peltate tendril, and it has no evidence of either heavy patterns on the pitcher or stripes on the peristome, and only the barest hints of teeth along with a very thick peristome.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No peltate tendril signs yet. . . I admit the peristome is surprisingly skinny on my plant.

LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, mine looks nothing like either of those plants; glabrous, no sign of truncate leaves...actually, the plant on the side of the pot looks more similar to mine (which I got straight from the source greenhouse) than the plant in the middle that I assume the pitcher pictured earlier came from, which looks more like a truncata or maybe robc hybrid.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. . . Can I see a pic of yours?

Also I would imagine that the genes of these two species would produce some rather variable offspring.
    Last edited by Dexenthes; 03-22-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the wait, here's my plant:
    N. rajah x jacquelineae by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

It looks roughly like a giant version of a really young rajah, with the more elongate leaves than pure rajah would have at this point and that really wide peristome that starts showing in the jamban complex at this age. No speckles, no serious teeth, and not really any discernibly distinct indumentum.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Our plants certainly do have a number of differences. I still maintain that mine is also the hybrid in question - we'll see how it looks as it gets older. As I would imagine from the widely different genes between the two parent species that the offspring could/would be highly variable. If our plants are indeed siblings it seems yours is clearly leaning towards the N. jacquelineae side of things and mine might be a little more on the N. rajah side of things.

EDIT: I spoke with Jeremiah and he doesn't think it is N. rajah x jacquelineae either. So now I have a mystery plant.
    Last edited by Dexenthes; 04-17-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought much of N. campanulata but after Zu gave me so many sweet campy hybrids they have really started to grow on me, especially this one. N. (lowii x vetchii) x campanulata

This one's interesting too. . . N. boschiana x campanulata

N. burbidgeae x glandulifera

D. regia

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast