What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feel Upon A Brooder Lamp

• Thread starter Vbkid
  • Start date

Vbkid

Getting There...
So mom helps run some apartments for a NFP. A resident recently moved out, leaving the remnants of a pot operation. My mom grabbed me a brooder lamp he left behind. I've only ever used fluorescents, any advice on how to best use this?

Like a bird brooder lamp? Is it like one of the clamp-on lamps that used to be for incandescent (i.e. screw-in) bulbs?

HA HA is she gonna call the cops?

Does it take normal size bulbs or huge ones? If you use one that takes normal size bulbs you could use twisty compact fluorescent bulbs in it. Don't put a so called "Plant Grow Light" in there because they turn the reflector into a spot light that will cook your plants.

If the reflector it takes huge bulbs then it's probably HPS or Metal Halide, those get very hot and you'll need a large area with lots of height (and probably fans) to keep from cooking the plants.

You could put a compact fluorescent in there for plants

The person used those to grow mj? :jester:

I think this maybe for flowering the cannabis?

Would this be at all useful for growing CPs?

I like having these types of lights around just in case I have to rig something last minute, but I probably wouldn't call them any more than supplemental (compared to something like a T5 fixture) unless you have a lot of them.

My very first set up was a couple of clamp lights with CFLs over a 10 gallon. It worked for a while, but I'd never go back to that lighting unless I had to...

Quick update, I came home to Stl for the weekend, my mom gave me the lamp. It currently has a Philips Eco Vantage Halogen bulb (1350 lumens). Thoughts on how to best use this?

Your going to need a different bulb...halogens don't work well on plants....you need a compact fluorescent

Back