Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CP Vivarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CP Vivarium

Hello everyone, I come from a background of Poison dart frogs and was interested in coming to the carnivorous plant hobby. I Love the look of the plants. Has anyone ever tried making a CP tank? I would put wood, a background and all the rest of the things together but i would have no idea how this would all work since im still new. If this would work or someone has done it can someone send me a link to a picture and give me some tips on how to do this? Thank you all very much.

Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF!

I've never done this, but I believe there are several members here who have. What kinds of CPs would you want to put in?
    Last edited by w03; 03-15-2015 at 02:46 PM.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know exactly what CP i would want in there but i would make sure its okay with artificial light and i would like it if i could put a few in there and possibly fill it with some moss. If you have any suggestions please tell me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can grow any plant in the world under artificial light if you have enough of it. The bigger issue with a set up like yours is the lack of seasonal variations in temperature required for the dormancy of many CPS. You're going to want to stick with tropical and subtropical species. Not exactly my cup of tea, so I leave it to others to make more specific suggestions.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are really quite a few that would work in there, depending on what kind of lighting, substrate, and temperature you can provide.

As a general note, I would rule out the temperate plants (Sarracenia, Dionaea, Darlingtonia, some species of Drosera and Pinguicula) as not only will they all need a dormancy period, but almost all will also need really intense lighting that the frogs probably won't appreciate. As SubRosa said, you can grow these under artificial light, you just need a ton of it.
    Last edited by w03; 03-15-2015 at 03:39 PM.
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not be putting frogs in any of these tanks. I would add any substrate needed, get LED and plant the tank. I do agree making "seasons" would be hard so the tropical plants would probably be the best. Any other tips or suggestions please tell. Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ventilation!
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For tropicals, there's a massive amount of plants that could work. Do you want to start with the easier species, or do you already have enough experience with other plants that you would feel confident taking on some more exacting plants?
    My meager growlist

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast