User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OrchidBox climate controlled terrariums... What do you all think about this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to have lots of bells and whistles but they aren't necessary to successfully growing orchids or carnivores. If you're a gadget fetishist I guess that would be something to blow your money on. But it's really not nearly enough space for much of a collection especially if it's going to have any plants that are not micro / mini species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like all features that would be desired by a tropical plant grower are covered. The major issue as other have noted is size. The largest option 20" x 12" x 19" should be the smallest option available.

I would offer two sizes and really create a nice presentation for those two sizes. Some of the digital renderings of the prototypes are really nice, so that looks like the path the product is going. So 2 options would be best call smaller one OrchidBox and the larger size NepenthesBox and adjust the kit includes with those to cater towards each genus. Price point is going to have to be $600 or less, doubt anyone on this forum would spend that amount.

There should also be an a la carte option to build your own setup and have the customers supply the terrarium to cut down on costs for both sides. The company can offer kits that fit terrariums in certain ranges. The core build-your-own kit would come with the main component/brain for the system and the sensors, and then the customer could add lighting, watering system, fans, LED, etc.

On the marketing side, there should be case studies on the site, I see that start of some of that already. Proven cultivation of plants in the genus that are difficult and require extra attention. Could even give growers in the community full kits for half-price and ask them to give you feedback and a possible testimonial and pictured for the site.

@Nem, I am thinking you are being facetious with your comment, the WiFi option is remarkable. The OrchidBox connects to the WiFi in ones home or office, and then all the parameters of the system can be access via the iOS App and/or Mobile Site. You would be able to control and monitor your system remotely. I have explored this possibility and built solutions to this a few time, this is a great offering, but might be ahead of its time in a way.

I have also done the web cam route a few times with grow setups, and i can agree, that it is a little unnecessarily. The only purpose it served was to ensure that the environment was running properly, misting, humidifier coming on, and helped me prevent a flood for a mister breaking.

One final note is I do not see a way to control humidity, well I am sure there is a parameter for humidity, but it probably turns on the misting system. This is not a good way to control humidity. Plants will likely root out and if they are constantly being misted to raise the humidity. Obviously there is a full system working in unison here, so this may work fine.

Send me a message Nate if you want to discuss further...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was curious what a larger automated system would cost.

http://www.acmeorchidarium.com/home.html

these systems are larger, and so is the price at 4k!

they use ecozone controllers. pretty robust controllers that a few of my chamelon buddies used years ago.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    i was curious what a larger automated system would cost.

http://www.acmeorchidarium.com/home.html

these systems are larger, and so is the price at 4k!

they use ecozone controllers. pretty robust controllers that a few of my chamelon buddies used years ago.
    I might actually look into one of these haha
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly...you can make one for a bit lower. The controllers and all that jazz might cost you a bit, but I think the price is a bit too high inspite of all those bells and whistles. Just search for deals and the exoterra big tanks are pretty nice ones that can be retrofitted to get all the functionality u need.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamata-Honzo View Post
    I might actually look into one of these haha
    ive been trying to see exactly how their "cooling" system works. Very interested in that componet. Its the one piece of the puzzle that i would love to have more info about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you point that out I'm curious as well. According to their "how they work" page it's an evaporative cooler, but that seems to be, like all evaporative coolers, limited by the external air temp and humidity.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    ive been trying to see exactly how their "cooling" system works. Very interested in that componet. Its the one piece of the puzzle that i would love to have more info about.
    I actually have emailed the seller of more information on this just yesterday, still waiting for a reply I also contacted him by phone earlier and he explained its an evaporative system capable of drops in temperatures to the mid fifties every night (WOW). I was skeptical until I read another customers testimonial saying he's achieved these lows with the system he purchased. In addition, while contacting the seller, he said that he has also moved towards thermoelectric cooling for more consistant results. I know the system seems very expensive and I know I can probably do it by looking for the different parts... but with that magnificent look and temperature drop capability to match.... Is SO DAMN tempting haha
    "Be quiet! The plants will hear y... noooooo!" 'chomp - burp!'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast