User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Flowing Water Benefit Plants Significantly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since the general opinion seemed to be, "experiment!", I went ahead with my plan. After one (hopefully last) trip to Lowes to get some tubing and a fitting, and after much tweaking, trimming, and swearing, I've ended up with this:

Some simple holes in the other end provide drainage, and I made sure they allow enough through that the pump doesn't inadvertently flood the tray. The water flow seems good, and has some cross currents (the center is actually pulled towards the nozzles, then gets pushed back out along the sides).

Now I need to figure out how I'm going to affix a fan somewhere in there, hook the lights up to a timer, and it'll be ready for plants to go in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welp. I got it finished and started putting the plants in yesterday, and was able to begin re-potting again today.

Only 4 more pots left. Two of S. leucophylla "Hurricane Creek" and two of Darlingtonia (Gasquet Co.) ((really hope I'm punctuating those correctly, lol))

I'm also going to start some flower stalk cuttings soon. Already have two pots of D. 'Marston Dragon' going in there, and soon I'll have fresh stalks of D. filiformis 'Florida Red' an D. binata 'Dwarf Red'.

Fingers crossed that they like the new conditions.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't grow many Sarrs but have you considered a simple flood/drain setup. My CP medium easily stays at the proper moisture for 10 days or more, I have to flood the tank at the 7-9 day mark due to the orchids in there.

Page 2 here looks a lot like what you made http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...uild-log/page2 I'm using a 20g fish tank to hold the fert solution, it really is low maintenance compared to anything else I've built.

Most of the aquatic or semi aquatic Utrics I've tried benefit greatly in a flowing system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually just saw your thread today, and facepalmed that I hadn't thought of that. I've seen some ebb / flow systems, but it would take some time to figure out how to automate it to my satisfaction (even your admittedly foolproof system would be subject to my random bouts of forgetfulness / neglect, lol).

However, if I decide to make modifications to this tank, I will likely copy your designs somewhat. I'm also planning on doing something similar to your setup for my outdoor plants at some point.

I honestly have no idea whether the running water is going to do anything except (as was pointed out previously) prevent stagnation, which -was- a minor issue in the 20-gal. (Mostly due to me never completely cleaning it out, just refilling it as it evaporated, lol).

(Edit)

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Most of the aquatic or semi aquatic Utrics I've tried benefit greatly in a flowing system.
    Funny you mention that. I was actually planning on trying to get some U. gibba established in this new tank. Maybe it will be the only plant that receives any great benefit from it, haha.
    Last edited by Zath; 06-28-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Av8tor1 has a thread around here somewhere with a flood/drain system that would work better for how you have things set up but I could not find it

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Oh wow, thanks so much for pointing me to that. It's definitely something I could quickly modify my tank to do.

Now I just need to decide if I want to or not. Might let it ride for a while. Maybe get the U.gibba delivered and settled in before deciding something. Maybe it can go in it's own, non-draining container.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think ur set up looks great tell us how things go with it im bery interested it could be a fun thing to try with the older kids or just myself when we get the funds situated and get back to where we neex to be. at the moment im just trying to get the sun porch greenhouse renovated to use as a exploitation and learning greenhouse though it only has limited space but it will have to do. I'm interested in what happens with your expiriment please keep us up on the latest news

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast