User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does Flowing Water Benefit Plants Significantly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ KATastrophe

Disregarding the recent squabbling on the forum, I'll simply say this:

I find DIY projects such as this to be not only mentally stimulating but also immensely satisfying once complete. If nothing else, this is essentially the typical "tray-system", only with circulating, instead of standing, water.

If you wanted a fun project to do over the weekend, I would suggest a "field-trip" to Lowes (or your equivalent hardware store), and explain / show to the kids what everything is for.

I expect my plants to do well, since they've gotten to where they are by sitting in 3/4" of standing water for the past year. I have no doubt that they will be happy and healthy in the new terrarium. The real question is...will they do any better?

Happy growing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha that will be the real test to see if they will do better or stay the same just happier conditions!
    Well keep us posted.

As much as id love to take field trips - i don't drive and its hard to get parental permission for things Like that especially with the younger kids. But hopefully someday we'll be able to do more then park visits and exploration into plants outta my home! id really like to take the kids to the little wooded areas and bike trails we have in town to show them the little ecosystems their, but it's hard without all the help we'd need too do such things. But i think this is something right up our Ally or atleast something like this, but it would have to wait till we get more settled into our new greenhouse/sunporch after we renovate and such.
    Its been raining for the past 2 days and they said tomorrow aswell so the fun activity i was planning is on hold. But i guess it's a good thing cause im still trying to get suggestions on what we could do with the plants other then repottong them and painting the pots and teach basic care for the plants.. I was thinking of contacting a local buisness close by to see if theyd allow us to plant them in front of their place or something but idk yet i still got to figure things out.

Sorry to go on a ramble!

I'll be checking in on this thread please fill us in if anything changes in the plants or anything noticeable health/growth wise in your plants id really be interested to see if it will help or just be a happier place for them to grow. I actually like the idea of running water cause i hate stagnant air and water. It happens in our bagged plants all the time

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    fwiw, 4 yrs now and still using the same system.... the only problems Ive run into is the occasional need to replace the aquarium hose when it becomes restricted with funk

I do change out the reservoir water once or twice a year (does require frequent top-offs, but TDS easily remains under 50ppm)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KATastrophe View Post
    I actually like the idea of running water cause i hate stagnant air and water. It happens in our bagged plants all the time
    I actually build a lot of setups intended for stagnant air and water. No fans, just a small open area at the top. Here are a few if your interested http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ups?highlight= Plant choice and experience helps a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    I do change out the reservoir water once or twice a year (does require frequent top-offs, but TDS easily remains under 50ppm)
    If you are adding any ferts you would be better off replacing that water more often, I went to an orchid lecture about ferts and many of the compounds will be removed from the water through various over my head means over the next few hours/days/weeks/ect.

If you don't want to use ferts, or you don't want faster growth (I know I want my Pings to STOP growing....) then ignore this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apply trichoderma once a month and pitcher feed. Growth rate is already more than I want. Just ask anyone who's ever gotten a heli plant from me 😝

Water quality still remains stable

Not saying it's as good or better than anyone else's but it works for me 😊
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 06-29-2015 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks rss for the link ill check it out

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123