Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide me through my container bog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guide me through my container bog

Hey folks. After doing lots of reading I've decided to try my hand first at an outdoor container bog. As I've mentioned in previous posts I'm in Texas, zone 9, near Houston. I plan to do mostly sarracenia with a couple VFT, sundews, bladderwort, and even a cobra lily if one would survive for me.

I recently picked up a wood barrel style container super cheap. It's 22.5" diameter and 14" deep. Made of stained pine with steel belts on the outside. There's a single hole drilled at the bottom. I intend to do equal parts peat, sand, and pearlite, with a long fiber sphagnum layer on top. Does this sound like I'm on the right track? Should I forego the perlite?

Second. What if anything needs to be done with this barrel to make it safe. Should I line it with pond liner, plugging the hole to help retain water?

My starter sarracenia purpurea is doing ok. It's tolerating the intense heat well so far, and the dry LFS I planted it in is coming back to life which is a pleasant surprise. Not sure how that's possible, outside of a couple live bits that may have been attached to the roots.

Thanks for any help and advice! Would love to get this going before it gets cold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BPB
    Firstly as we don't know what the barrel has been preserved with you should definitely line it. Wood preservers can have some nasty stuff in it so unless you are sure what it is preserved with, put a liner in, it may also help to stop the pine rotting too quickly.
    You will either have to have make a hole in the liner for drainage, or perhaps better still would be to put a tube into the mix before you fill the pot, so you can see down it to see how high the water level is and more importantly to syphon off excess liquid in wet periods to prevent the mix going anaerobic, and killing your plant. A lot of people don't pay too much attention to this aspect and loose plants as a consequence.
    I just use a 50 5- mix of peat and perlite others use peat and sand or a mix of peat perlite and sand, it doesn't make a lot of difference so whatever you can get readily or cheaply will do the job.

Good luck with it.

Cheers
    Steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't disagree more about the drainage aspect, especially in Texas. Drainage holes in a bog might work in England or the PNW but all it means for most of the rest of us is constant watering. I have several bogs, 2 of which are over 15 years old and are not drained. Plants are all happy and healthy. Line the planter with a pond liner and do not perforate it. Mound your media about 2" above the rim of the planter, this will settle with time. Use a mix of sand and peat, perlite will rise to the surface and looks unsightly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info. Should I not punch holes a few inches from the top rim as spill over holes so it doesn't become a pond if it rains? If so, I imagine some
    Bulkheads or something to keep water from leeching into the wood constantly would be a good idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you get a lot of rain and keep the barrel already sopping wet that probably will never happen. Even if it does though, with a half barrel you can probably just tip it to drain. Some and let the rest dry on its own after the rain ends.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't you been watching the news? Texas got over 37 trilliion gallons of rain in May which is claimed is enough to cover the entire state with 8 inches of water.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/30/us/severe-weather/
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, sorry to disappoint, but that moss isn't coming back to life, it's just algae...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast