Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Timers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light Timers

I have twelve 40-watt (150w equivalent) CFL bulbs in my growlight setup. They are hooked into dual light fixture sockets that have a rating of handling up to ~850W. I assume this timer is safe for my setup, as it is rated at handling 1875W, but I thought I would ask here before purchasing since this would be my first light timer.

One potential timer:
    http://www.amazon.com/Woods-50009-In...fl+light+timer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be just fine. I use cheap mechanical timers that are likely rated for less and some of them handle loads much higher than that with no issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mechanical timers have issues. I have been migrating towards digital ones.....

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    mechanical timers have issues. I have been migrating towards digital ones.....
    I've read the opposite. Every digital timer I've looked at has lots of reliability complaints while the mechanical ones don't. I have read that some mechanical timers are noisy but the newer models don't seem to be. I picked up a cheapo no brand mechanical timer with my light fixture and it's performed perfectly. I couldn't tell you how much power it can handle though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input, everyone. I will try the linked model and see how it goes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used both the cheap mechanical timers and slightly less cheap electronic ones. The mechanical timers are much more reliable but tend to wear out after a few years....but at $5.00 a pop, still a better choice in my opinion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used a digital timer for 15 years and it's still working perfectly. It was not an expensive one back then but I would think nowadays they are even more crap than before. So the point is, there are good and bad timers, both mechanical and electronic. I would stay away from cheap ebay ones.
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with mechanical timers is if you have a power blackout you have to reset the time. The problem with digital timers is if they have a backup battery to keep time without power the batteries need periodic changing.

Check how much load the timer is rated at. Too many lights on one time could burn it out.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast