Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super easy DIY LED: Philips XF-3535L

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super easy DIY LED: Philips XF-3535L

I just posted a step-by-step assembly of super easy DIY LED, which I have done about a year ago. 1 year is a long time in the progress of LED technology, but Philips XF-3535L is still great in terms of efficiency. The price came down a little bit over the year, but COB (chip-on-board) LEDs (such as Cree CXB series and Bridgelux Vero) are still cheaper. But there are lots of positives about XF-3535L.

I mostly use it for orchids, but it can achieve fairly high light for CP if you use lots of them. So it may be useful for some of you.

Here is the link to the blog post:
    Orchid Borealis: Easy DIY LED: Philips XF-3535L

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good info on that, thanks!
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very cool! I appreciate the thorough writeup. Thanks for posting! Looking forward to your post about COB.

Edited addition: Also, great to see more people doing quantitative work! I've been working more with different types of sensors so I've been thinking of horticultural experiments. Interesting to see someone else using another Licor product -- I've used some of their gas analyzers for a few years now (on and off anyway).
    Last edited by Est; 09-05-2015 at 01:16 PM.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Est View Post
    Very cool! I appreciate the thorough writeup. Thanks for posting! Looking forward to your post about COB.

Edited addition: Also, great to see more people doing quantitative work! I've been working more with different types of sensors so I've been thinking of horticultural experiments. Interesting to see someone else using another Licor product -- I've used some of their gas analyzers for a few years now (on and off anyway).
    Thanks. So you are a real plant physiologist! I also have an access to LI-6400, too, but I don't know well about it (it seems quite complicated). One of my former student did plant eco-physiology type research with it. My PAR sensor is old; I scored it on ebay for $40 because the seller didn't know if it works or what it is. So the sensitivity to blue may be a little weak according to this article. But I think that it is good enough for my hobby purpose.

Are you testing different types of PAR sensors? Like this study:
    http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/con...nsors-LEDs.pdf
    I would like to learn what you find out. I wish that there were more affordable PAR sensors so hobbyists can use them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ah, I'm more on the soil side of things really (biogeochemistry, specifically). Autotrophic respiration has been mostly something we calculate as a correction rather than as a primary measure of interests. I do work with people who do things like leaf respiration, but that's outside of my immediate skill set! Great that you were able to get one via ebay -- I've considered the same for hobby work. What's kind of work do you do?

While I'm not using any PAR sensors, I do use a few other Apogee sensors (O2 and barometric pressure) among others. Recently set up a pair of arrays with barometric pressure soil O2, moisture, temp, redox and will be adding rain gauges soon -- but no work with light measurement, unfortunately! What kind of data logger are you using for your Licor sensor?

Another sidenote: Currently working with some "soils" from Healy; pretty close to you!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of soil moisture sensor do you use?
    Looking for N. Campanulata hybrids. Also would like to grow some nepenthes from seed. Growlist/pic thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Pete-s-plants

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I currently use the Campbell Scientific CS655 shown here. They have a few different models for different soil types. Generally we use the shorter ones for soils which are more difficult to work in. Somehow I always seem to end up in soils that are difficult to work in.

Some of my collaborators have had good luck with Decagon soil moisture probes, and I've heard that the latest iterations have been significantly improved in terms of ruggedness. I haven't used them myself, but I may start in the next few months. Do you do related work?
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I'm more on the soil side of things really (biogeochemistry, specifically). Autotrophic respiration has been mostly something we calculate as a correction rather than as a primary measure of interests. I do work with people who do things like leaf respiration, but that's outside of my immediate skill set! Great that you were able to get one via ebay -- I've considered the same for hobby work. What's kind of work do you do?
    Est, that's cool. I'm an evolutionary biologist (studies population genetics and molecular evolution of plant mating systems as well as some ecological genetics of plants).

While I'm not using any PAR sensors, I do use a few other Apogee sensors (O2 and barometric pressure) among others. Recently set up a pair of arrays with barometric pressure soil O2, moisture, temp, redox and will be adding rain gauges soon -- but no work with light measurement, unfortunately! What kind of data logger are you using for your Licor sensor?

Another sidenote: Currently working with some "soils" from Healy; pretty close to you!
    Apogee light sensor is pretty good, but it is a bit problematic for monochromatic LEDs, which may use deep red. But it is the most affordable one. There is a USB version of Apogee quantum sensor, which is kind of cool.

I'm not using a data logger with my Li-Cor. I have used HOBO for environment monitoring, but I don't think I can connect Li-Cor to it. I'm actually planning to make a temp/humidity logger with Rapsberry Pie (I have all components, but I haven't had a time yet!).

A small world. Yes, Healy is very close to Fairbanks. Have you collected soils there? It is a beautiful area!

Do you have any experience with CO2 sensor? Is there a cheap and decent sensor?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast