What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum moss grows too tall.

All the sphagnum in my bog keeps trying to eat my venus flytraps and sundews. The Sarrs and orchids are too tall for it, but everything else seems to be fair game. There's also a lot of bladderworts that got there somehow, and I'm really worried about them because they're really short as far as plants go. How tall will the sphagnum get, and will the plants(especially bladderwort) find some way to grow on top of the moss so that they don't get buried. The VFT and sundew might be safe next year due to the increase in size.

I think the bladderworts will be fine, but you should definitely do something about the VFTs and sundews. It is tough to say without having pictures of your bog...But I'd probably just trim the sphagnum around the shorter plants. I might even remove it around the shorter plants and use it to start a culture in a plastic tub.

I think the bladderworts will be fine, but you should definitely do something about the VFTs and sundews. It is tough to say without having pictures of your bog...But I'd probably just trim the sphagnum around the shorter plants. I might even remove it around the shorter plants and use it to start a culture in a plastic tub.

I have been trimming it and leaving the scraps in the bog. I got a gallon bag a couple years ago and have been culturing it since, so there's no need to make a tub of scraps. Although if you or anyone else wants red sphagnum, I'd be glad to give some away. The sphagnum had dormant seeds in it actually, which is how I got all 14 D rotundifolia and 3/4 of the flytraps.

I snip off the top pieces and use them as top dressing for new pots or save them in a bag for when i repot. They always lu**** grow back after snipping/trimming my pot dressings so you should have no issue getting it to the height your comfortable with having :)

Guess u can't say L-U-S-H-L-Y....wth?

Last edited:
edit: whoops, double post.

Last edited:
move to AU plx lol, i can not find a source for this anywhere here, even though i have been looking.
if you or anyone else wants red sphagnum, I'd be glad to give some away

I have been trimming it and leaving the scraps in the bog. I got a gallon bag a couple years ago and have been culturing it since, so there's no need to make a tub of scraps. Although if you or anyone else wants red sphagnum, I'd be glad to give some away. The sphagnum had dormant seeds in it actually, which is how I got all 14 D rotundifolia and 3/4 of the flytraps.

That is very generous of you. I currently have some red sphagnum in a tiny culture tub. If I kill them I will certainly know who to go to! I'd suggest each time you give the sphagnum a good trim - host a giveaway in the trading post section of the forum. Guarantee you'll get lots of participants!

These little fellows don't appear to have a problem.

20699684722_68b503f776_o.jpg

There's just as many in here too and they're healthy.

21195598401_49f0366e8d_o.jpg

Are you sure your plants have a problem?

Lol @ Fred

I can't see a single Darlintonia in that second pic. You sure they haven't been smothered? :p

Very sure :-D

I have red that never turns red no matter how strong the light...grrr

I have red that never turns red no matter how strong the light...grrr

Mine took a while. The moss in the bog garden is still green, but under bright flourescent lighting most of it turned red after 7 months.

Back