What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Penn's Hat Bog

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
My newest bog, installed in the zone stretching spot at the inside corner of the angle formed by the intersection of my slate patio and asphalt driveway. It's reserved for low growing plants such as VFTs, Pings, and orchids. There's a statue of William Penn on top of city hall in Philadelphia, and for a very long time it was the unwritten rule that no building in the city could be taller than the rim of his hat. Sadly that is no more, but no leaves may protrude above the top of the lowest stone in the wall surrounding this bog. Flower spikes are exempt from the zoning restrictions.

Attachments

• 1443476099609250806090.jpg
    1443476099609250806090.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 71
Current plants are several normal VFTs from two separate clones, a couple divisions of 'Akai Ryu', a Pinguicula grandiflora, S. 'Scarlet Belle', Calopogon tuberosus, and a couple Spiranthes species, sinensis, vernalis, and cernua odorata.

What zone are you in again? I stuck my Akai Ryu outside for the winter. I have been informed some cultivars do better with cold than others, so I don't know what I'm in for in terms of survival.

I'm in 7A Jen. Johnny told me that it isn't a particularly cold hardy cultivar, but it does survive for him.

I plan on mulching the daylights out of it. Also have a King Henry, and a Dente in there. We'll see how well they do.

I'm not doing anything in way of protection because the spot the bog is located has built in protection. I'm going to try a D.capensis in there in the spring, and then see if it can survive with mulching next winter.

I will be very interested to hear how THAT goes!

Back