Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Billy Penn's Hat Bog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Billy Penn's Hat Bog

My newest bog, installed in the zone stretching spot at the inside corner of the angle formed by the intersection of my slate patio and asphalt driveway. It's reserved for low growing plants such as VFTs, Pings, and orchids. There's a statue of William Penn on top of city hall in Philadelphia, and for a very long time it was the unwritten rule that no building in the city could be taller than the rim of his hat. Sadly that is no more, but no leaves may protrude above the top of the lowest stone in the wall surrounding this bog. Flower spikes are exempt from the zoning restrictions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Billy Penn's Hat Bog-1443476099609250806090-jpg  
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current plants are several normal VFTs from two separate clones, a couple divisions of 'Akai Ryu', a Pinguicula grandiflora, S. 'Scarlet Belle', Calopogon tuberosus, and a couple Spiranthes species, sinensis, vernalis, and cernua odorata.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What zone are you in again? I stuck my Akai Ryu outside for the winter. I have been informed some cultivars do better with cold than others, so I don't know what I'm in for in terms of survival.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in 7A Jen. Johnny told me that it isn't a particularly cold hardy cultivar, but it does survive for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on mulching the daylights out of it. Also have a King Henry, and a Dente in there. We'll see how well they do.
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not doing anything in way of protection because the spot the bog is located has built in protection. I'm going to try a D.capensis in there in the spring, and then see if it can survive with mulching next winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be very interested to hear how THAT goes!
    -Bradley Miller-