User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 10

Thread: Best small plants for a low-light terrarium?

  1. #1
    Agent of Chaos Wolfn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best small plants for a low-light terrarium?

    Greetings. A few years ago, I had a large 20 gallon terrarium in my room under a CFL and grew a wide selection of CPs (Cephalotus, Heliamphora, Drosera, Nepenthes, etc). However, I was planning on moving out of state and wanted to focus on a smaller collection so I sold almost all the plants and the tank. Over the past two years, I have been growing a Cephalotus under a 27watt CFL and it's grown extremely well (vigorous and red-colored).

    However, I've been yearning to do a small terrarium again and I today I purchased a 2.5 gallon terrarium (12''x6''x8.3''). The terrarium will still fit under the growlight and because of the rectangular shape of the light will properly cover the terrarium.

    However, I know this wouldn't be enough light for Sarracenia or some of the intense-sun Droseras, but should be adequate for some other CPs.


    To sum up: what are some small CPs that I can grow well under a moderate light (the light is enough to give my Cephalotus some red color)?

    Not the best picture, but this shows the light I use:
    Last edited by Wolfn; 10-06-2015 at 11:13 PM.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

    Wolfn's Growlist

  2. #2
    Swagalotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its enough to turn cephs red its enough to basically grow any cp. You could have a small nep, I have an amp in a 2.5 gal tank. You could also throw in some utrics and droseras ( capes, natalensis, etc).

  3. #3
    Agent of Chaos Wolfn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagalotus View Post
    If its enough to turn cephs red its enough to basically grow any cp. You could have a small nep, I have an amp in a 2.5 gal tank. You could also throw in some utrics and droseras ( capes, natalensis, etc).
    I'm concentrating on three plants: a Cephalotus, a Drosera, and a Pinguicula. I'm leaning towards Drosera capensis and Pinguicula 'Pirouette'
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

    Wolfn's Growlist

  4. #4
    w03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    526
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. calycifida is much more conspicuous than other terrestrial utrics and does very well under lower light.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

  5. #5
    Aristoloingulamata Dexenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Southern Tongass Rainforest, Alaska
    Posts
    3,708
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. prolifera is, IMO, the best Drosera for a low-light, subtropical terrarium setting. It's beautiful, it grows fast, reproduces readily, and does not take up much space, even when it's spreading.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

  6. #6
    Agent of Chaos Wolfn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    D. prolifera is, IMO, the best Drosera for a low-light, subtropical terrarium setting. It's beautiful, it grows fast, reproduces readily, and does not take up much space, even when it's spreading.
    I've grown it before (I tried outdoors here in Florida when it died) but I found it extremely beautiful. Not to mention it would be rare in a collection compared to a capensis or something.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

    Wolfn's Growlist

  7. #7
    Enthusiastic Enthusiast Zath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    VA, USA
    Posts
    583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also try D. adelae, which for some people (myself included) grows best in lower light situations (as opposed to full-sun). Like w03 mentioned above, U. calycifida is a good candidate, and can be as small as you want it, provided you're up to the task of regularly pruning it back. U. sandersonii might be a good candidate as well, and should flower more profusely than calycifida, making a smaller specimen more worth the time and effort.

  8. #8
    Brolloks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    You could also try D. adelae, which for some people (myself included) grows best in lower light situations (as opposed to full-sun). Like w03 mentioned above, U. calycifida is a good candidate, and can be as small as you want it, provided you're up to the task of regularly pruning it back. U. sandersonii might be a good candidate as well, and should flower more profusely than calycifida, making a smaller specimen more worth the time and effort.
    I second that, my D. Adelae also grows better in lower light. I had it under my T8's and it got really red and shrunk down in size and did not look happy at all. Moved it to the side of the lights and it has exploded in size and just looks more healthy to me now. BUT.. I struggled with this species at first, went from a monster size plant down to a tiny little thing. Doing a lot better now since it has settled.
    Last edited by Brolloks; 10-31-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •