Informational! Informational!:  8
Likes Likes:  3
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY COB LED info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds great .That will give me a good idea how the lights coverage is. I was thinking like 3 or 4 50 watt lights might be the way to go or a bunch of smaller leds

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't pretend to know how to grow Drosera well (I have only 5-6 species, and recently got about 10 more species of Pygmy). Can you tell me what is the optimum (or sufficient) level of light (e.g. in fc)? They can take full sun, right (I grow them outside in the summer, but AK sun may be weaker)? For low light plants like Orchids and Nepenthes, I think that 2x 50W of CXB3070 (or Vero 29) would be enough for the area (i.e. each covers about 2'x2' area). That will be similar to 4 bulb T5HO (or slightly less). So 3-4x of CXB3070 (or Vero 29) could be a good start (150-200W total).

It will be good to surround the area with reflective or white materials, so you don't waste light and you can get a bit more homogeneous light, though.

I think Vero 29 Ver. 2 had a recent price cut, so it became more attractive (slightly less efficient than Cree CXB, though). If you go with Cree, Cutter Electronics seems to be a good place to get high bin CXB's:

Cutter Electronics Your one stop Led Shop:

Check here, for the coupon to bring down the price of CXB3070 (US$31)and CXB3590 (US$43). I think that it is still valid.

Est, Arctic Alpine 64GT which aerogrower recommended look like a good deal.
    Last edited by naoki; 01-18-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This fixture is 6 ft long and has 4 100 watt COB leds running at half power. The driver is mounted on the wall. The wall is 8 ft long.

- - - Updated - - -

This is how I attached the cpu/fans to the angle. I used aluminium rivets.

- - - Updated - - -

This is how I mounted the COB leds.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a blast doing this. Wish I could build more I have all kinds of ideas. Thanks Naoki for getting me started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY COB LED info-20160118_184114-jpg   DIY COB LED info-20160118_184331-jpg  

DIY COB LED info-20160118_184447-jpg  
    Last edited by aerogrower; 01-18-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Est, Arctic Alpine 64GT which aerogrower recommended look like a good deal.
    Unfortunately I don't have a convenient way to tap and drill the heatsinks at the moment. Going to do some more looking, but I may go with an option that's pre-drilled for compatibility with an appropriate holder. Worst case, I know you posted some a page or two back. Have you stumbled upon anything else in the meantime?

Aero, looking good! What're you planning on growing under the lights?
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 10 x 10 outdoor greenhouse pretty much full of plants. Being in Michigan that means come winter they all go in the basement. I have cps, orchids, and many tropicals. Until this year they just went in corner of basement and I have T5s over them. Next year they will have there own room and LEDs over them. Can't wait to fill up the room!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aerogrower View Post
    This fixture is 6 ft long and has 4 100 watt COB leds running at half power. The driver is mounted on the wall. The wall is 8 ft long.

- - - Updated - - -

This is how I attached the cpu/fans to the angle. I used aluminium rivets.

- - - Updated - - -

This is how I mounted the COB leds.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a blast doing this. Wish I could build more I have all kinds of ideas. Thanks Naoki for getting me started.
    It seems it might be a bad idea to tell you about the guy who built a water cooled led setup for his reef tank........
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    It seems it might be a bad idea to tell you about the guy who built a water cooled led setup for his reef tank........
    Please enlighten me..... I was just thinking I need something to do in my spare time !!! Sounds like the beginning of another thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for right now ask yourself a question. Which would be more efficient as a heat sink at removing heat from an emitter, a solid chunk of aluminium (hi Fred!) with a fan blowing on it or a piece of copper pipe with water circulating through it and a heat exchanger?
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast