Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY COB LED info

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY COB LED info

I made a blog post about how to make Chip-on-board (COB) based LED fixtures (here is the link). I included materials list, step-by-step assembly details (maybe too much for most people), information about driver selection, and measurement data using PPFD.

Also I came across a couple of useful youtube videos, so the links are provided at the very end of the post. I started DIY COB LEDS with cheap eBay COBs, but the video provides the reason why these are not worth getting. Actually I think they are not worth using even if they are free.

There are newer generations of COB LEDs (Bridgelux Vero Version 2.0 and Cree CXB series), which came out this summer. Some of them (high efficiency bins) are still not easy to get. Some people are achieving close to 70% radiant efficiency with Cree CXB3590 (only 30% of electricity is wasted as heat, and 70% is converted to light energy). A cheaper way to grow plants under artificial light!

I posted several other LED related posts here, but COB LEDs are the most promising (cost effective) DIY project for CP, which requires lots of light (similar to MJ).
    Last edited by naoki; 11-03-2015 at 02:08 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting and doing all the work on this. Great and useful stuff!
    - Mark

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great! I'd been looking forward to this post. I'll check it out!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Mark & Est. I didn't include this info, but for the high light plants, I think a combination of 4x Cree CXB3590 and 1x Meanwell HLG-185H-C1400B (orA) is the sweet spot (~200W). High-bin CXB3590 is still difficult to get, but you can get them by contacting Shenzhen KingBrite Electronics Co., Ltd. - Cree led,Bridgelux led $47.5 ea. The driver is around $60. I don't have any association with the linked sellers. CXB3590 comes in 36V or 72V version. 4x 36V version can be connected in serial. With 72V, you need to connect them in 2 parallel circuits. The wall-plug (radiant) efficiency is close to 50% with this combo (about $300+). It will have better PAR quantum efficiency (micromol/J) than any production grow light fixtures.

A lot of good info about CXB3590 (and other LEDs) in LED and other Lighting | Rollitup. Even though I don't grow their kind of plants, I learn a lot from this forum.
    Last edited by naoki; 11-03-2015 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the additional resource, naoki. Amazing LED creations in there. It is easy to get lost.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naoki thanks for posting this. I am in process of ordering components and can't wait to start. I will post my results when I get going.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aerogrower, this may be a bit too late (I haven't checked this forum for a while). I was shopping around and I found a very good price on CXB3590 (the current top of the line of Cree CXB series), and I ordered 4 of these. It is 5000K 70CRI, and $35.26 with minimum order of 1. CXB3590 is still tough to get, and the price is usually $46 (from China direct) or much higher from domestic source. This is cd bin (not the top bin), but you can easily get radiant efficiency >50% with this.
    https://www.verical.com/pd/cree-led-...bcd50e-1721448
    This is 72V version, so the choice of the driver becomes limited. From MeanWell, basically you need to use HLG-C series. I ordered HLG-185H-C1400B to drive 4 CXB3590 (2 parallel circuits with 2 serial CXB per circuit, so each get 0.7A), total of around 200W.

They also have cheap CXA3070, 5000K, 80CRI, AB bin (middle bin) $21.47ea, but minimum order is 2. It is not the most recent CXB, so the efficiency is a bit lower. Since the price is low, I'm going to try cheap ghetto liquid/water cooling of LED. I have a relatively small enclosure (3x2x2') which I want to keep it as cool as possible, so this is an experiment. I'm going to run them really soft (at 500mA for 18W ea), which gives respectable efficiency and lowers heat release.
    https://www.verical.com/pd/cree-led-...0hab50f-879109
    Last edited by naoki; 11-14-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again, naoki! The improved prices certainly move me closer to possibly doing it myself. Meanwhile I am enjoying and learning from your posts.
    - Mark

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast