Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Specimen Terrarium

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything that looks like what you want is either challenging or will get gigantic.
    Sarracenia Addicted... Lover of all toothed Nepenthes.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

Keep it that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say jamban needs 50 degree temps; it's very forgiving and would probably grow easily in a terrarium with just a small temp drop and good acclimation.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to get ampullaria too maybe! They're so hard to find though....*sighs*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alvin 415 grows his Jamban and Hamata with no terrarium under lights.
    Sarracenia Addicted... Lover of all toothed Nepenthes.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

Keep it that way.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF youre considering other terrarium plants to go along with this, jewel orchids are my personal favorite.
    Macodes petola is a good starter.

PS- not my plant. sorry, attachment troubles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specimen Terrarium-tp-jpg  
    Last edited by NemJones; 11-10-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about any Nepenthes, lowland or highland, will rather shortly outgrow a tank of that size. Small species that will fit in there, like campanulata or argentii (one lowland and the other highland) can be picky. You might find N. gracilis or perhaps ventricosa and some of its hybrids to do moderately well, but they will vine and you'll either have to prune them or wrap them around the enclosure.
    Another option to go for with that space is Drosera, Utricularia, Genlisea, Pinguicula etc. which are smaller plants that will do well en masse in a tank. The Drosera like higher light than the others will typically tolerate, but still do well.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    Just about any Nepenthes, lowland or highland, will rather shortly outgrow a tank of that size. Small species that will fit in there, like campanulata or argentii (one lowland and the other highland) can be picky. You might find N. gracilis or perhaps ventricosa and some of its hybrids to do moderately well, but they will vine and you'll either have to prune them or wrap them around the enclosure.
    Another option to go for with that space is Drosera, Utricularia, Genlisea, Pinguicula etc. which are smaller plants that will do well en masse in a tank. The Drosera like higher light than the others will typically tolerate, but still do well.
    I also support this. Smaller species like the pygmy dews and various pings would look spectacular in a small enclosure and it would prevent
    you from having to (one day) prune, move, or even remove a Nepenthes from the enclosure, as they CAN indeed get bigger than expected.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all I'd like to say welcome to the hobby and I really like your cube terrarium, it has huge potential.

I have been a terrarium grower for about nine years or so, growing various Nepenthes hybrids and species. What most people are saying is very true that the majority of Nepenthes will fast outgrow a terrarium of that size, however that is also not always the case. If you are set on growing only pure species then that will certainly limit your possible candidates for that terrarium, however there are several that would do well in that size enclosure. An N. ampullaria could do well, although would ultimately fill up most of the tank in the end. A N. bellii is a lowland plant that stays quite small and delicate, very nice choice if you can find it. N. campanulata is the perfect size, though rather particular about it's care requirements and is also quite boring in a lot of ways.

If you open your prospects to the realm of hybrids then your options broaden significantly. The majority of hybrids are much more hardy and less demanding than their highlander parents, especially when they are mixed with lowland genetics.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast