What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specimen Terrarium

Hi all,
I am an experienced dart frog keeper who is somewhat new to CPs. I had a magnificent N. purpurea in a big glass vase for a while, but it eventually outgrew it, got cramped and failed to thrive.

I have this wonderful 27 gallon cube sitting empty in my living room. I don't want to set up another dart tank, and would love to make a nice specimen tank for a pitcher. My hope is to plant the pitcher off the ground in a hollow log leaving room for the cups to trail down. I would include some smaller plants to accentuate the tank, but the pitcher would be the centerpiece.

If I could get some species opinions I'd appreciate it. Once I have some species names I'll research them and make sure my conditions would be appropriate.

I tried too post a picture of the tank, but apparently don't have permission to attach an image.

Last edited:
It's S. purpurea for Sarrencenia purpurea.
Sarracenia, the north american pitcher plants, are temperate and do best outside in full sun year-round; they probably shouldn't be cloistered in a tank.
If you are looking for terrarium plants, I suggest highland or lowland nepenthes; they can be very impressive, highlands in particular. Species like N. jamban, hamata, macrophylla, edwardsiana, robcantleyi come to mind, but remember that some of the most beautiful species are also the most difficult to keep alive. Heliamphora and Cephalotus are also very nice. I suggest doing lots of research and starting with easy species moving up. The dart frog knowledge will help.
But are you sure you only want a single specimen in the tank? I assure you, once you get into this hobby, you won't be able to resist getting a million. A big terrarium dedicated to carnivorous plants and filled to the brim with as many plants as possible is what most of us end up with.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, use an image hosting website and paste the direct link for attaching photos.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. The tank is 18 x 18 x 20H.

I looked into those species a little...fell in love with jamban. We'll see. Here's a pic of the tank. I've used hosting sites, they're just such a PITA.

27Cube_zps9sxoo6ao.jpg

Just as a note, N. jamban is a highlander, so your night temps need to drop to about mid 50s or so for long term health.

Just as a note, N. jamban is a highlander, so your night temps need to drop to about mid 50s or so for long term health.

Figures...can't pull that off. Thanks.

I really dig the short, fat cups. What about ampullaria, or some hybrid of it? Something prone to terrestrial cupping would be great.

Last edited:
N. robcantleyi is a rather easy highlander in my experience. If you are unable to provide highland conditions, (at most 65° at night, ideally lower than 60) then there are many stunning intermediate Nepenthes that would be quite easy to grow in there. As long as you are able to provide enough light, species like N. sanguinea, N. ventricosa, and possibly N. truncata should do well without any heating or cooling requirements.

N. ampullaria and N. bicalcarata are relatively easy lowlanders, but will get enormous in a relatively short period of time.

Last edited:
Here's a rough diagram of what I'm envisioning...sharply angled substrate with the plant trailing down to the front.

Nepenthes%20Tank_zpsd7sthv0j.jpg

Last edited:
I think N. campanulata is the closest to what you're thinking of, but it's hard to find, and equally hard to grow well.

Anything that looks like what you want is either challenging or will get gigantic.

I wouldn't say jamban needs 50 degree temps; it's very forgiving and would probably grow easily in a terrarium with just a small temp drop and good acclimation.

I want to get ampullaria too maybe! They're so hard to find though....*sighs*

Alvin 415 grows his Jamban and Hamata with no terrarium under lights.

IF youre considering other terrarium plants to go along with this, jewel orchids are my personal favorite.
Macodes petola is a good starter.

PS- not my plant. sorry, attachment troubles.

Attachments

• TP.jpg
    TP.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Just about any Nepenthes, lowland or highland, will rather shortly outgrow a tank of that size. Small species that will fit in there, like campanulata or argentii (one lowland and the other highland) can be picky. You might find N. gracilis or perhaps ventricosa and some of its hybrids to do moderately well, but they will vine and you'll either have to prune them or wrap them around the enclosure.
Another option to go for with that space is Drosera, Utricularia, Genlisea, Pinguicula etc. which are smaller plants that will do well en masse in a tank. The Drosera like higher light than the others will typically tolerate, but still do well.

Just about any Nepenthes, lowland or highland, will rather shortly outgrow a tank of that size. Small species that will fit in there, like campanulata or argentii (one lowland and the other highland) can be picky. You might find N. gracilis or perhaps ventricosa and some of its hybrids to do moderately well, but they will vine and you'll either have to prune them or wrap them around the enclosure.
Another option to go for with that space is Drosera, Utricularia, Genlisea, Pinguicula etc. which are smaller plants that will do well en masse in a tank. The Drosera like higher light than the others will typically tolerate, but still do well.

I also support this. Smaller species like the pygmy dews and various pings would look spectacular in a small enclosure and it would prevent
you from having to (one day) prune, move, or even remove a Nepenthes from the enclosure, as they CAN indeed get bigger than expected.

First of all I'd like to say welcome to the hobby and I really like your cube terrarium, it has huge potential.

I have been a terrarium grower for about nine years or so, growing various Nepenthes hybrids and species. What most people are saying is very true that the majority of Nepenthes will fast outgrow a terrarium of that size, however that is also not always the case. If you are set on growing only pure species then that will certainly limit your possible candidates for that terrarium, however there are several that would do well in that size enclosure. An N. ampullaria could do well, although would ultimately fill up most of the tank in the end. A N. bellii is a lowland plant that stays quite small and delicate, very nice choice if you can find it. N. campanulata is the perfect size, though rather particular about it's care requirements and is also quite boring in a lot of ways.

If you open your prospects to the realm of hybrids then your options broaden significantly. The majority of hybrids are much more hardy and less demanding than their highlander parents, especially when they are mixed with lowland genetics.

Personally if you are really dead set on terrarium for growing, I would suggest maybe a cephalotus or a heliamphora? It has its own particular requirements of good air movement to prevent fungal infections, but on the whole, I think everyone would agree that it is a lot more "terrarium" compatible than any other pitcher plant (north american/asian). Check them out...they are really nice too and may make interesting display pieces.

I recommend N. adnata and N. glabrata as small species for your terrarium but am not sure if they are readily available at your end. N. ampullaria can be kept compact by trimming back. N. hamata is rather slow as a juvenile so that is another one you could consider. Otherwise, hybrids like ventricosa x aristolochioides, or spectabilis x hamata are nice too!

I've only seen one N. glabrata and that thing was huge, not at all a good terrarium plant

I've only seen one N. glabrata and that thing was huge, not at all a good terrarium plant

I just received my first mature glabrata plant from Wistuba and it is puny and miniscule compared to the adnata. It is placed in my 2ft highland tank with another 10 pots of Nepenthes.

Either I am getting the lower end of the deal or you've seen a monster. LOL

Back