Informational! Informational!:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Standing Water for Droseras

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I thought you were saying that it was a 40-watt equivalent CFL. Combined with the way the picture looks (really, really dim), made me think you needed a brighter bulb. Try it with the one you have and see how things look after a couple-three weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    Ah, I thought you were saying that it was a 40-watt equivalent CFL. Combined with the way the picture looks (really, really dim), made me think you needed a brighter bulb. Try it with the one you have and see how things look after a couple-three weeks.
    That would be my fault, I tilted the lamp while getting overhead pictures! I'll keep an eye on them, I took some pictures so I can compare after the weeks go on. Any chance you might have some recommendations on some more dews for these conditions? Preferably pygmies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but I'm not well-versed in pygmy's. Since you're growing capensis and spatulata, however, you have a wide range of options as far as sub-tropical and tropical 'dews, most of which are easily obtainable through trades (or even through simply asking. Many people have extras of these they're itching to get rid of, lol).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zath View Post
    Sorry, but I'm not well-versed in pygmy's. Since you're growing capensis and spatulata, however, you have a wide range of options as far as sub-tropical and tropical 'dews, most of which are easily obtainable through trades (or even through simply asking. Many people have extras of these they're itching to get rid of, lol).
    No worries at all, if not pygmies what's your poison? I took your advice and got the Aphrodite out of the peat and picked up a chunk of lava rock and drilled a hole and planted it in, I've always wanted to do a rock covered in Pings so hopefully I can get watering details with it in the rock ironed out. I wonder how absorbent lava rock is...

Last edited by summit; 01-09-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick update, I finally found a hood that can fit both of the CFLs. With just one bulb I was seeing new growth but no dew on either of the sundews. Both bulbs are rated at 40w (150w equivalent), 5000k, and 2600 lumens. Shoe boxes are temporally until I can fabricate something to hold the hood. I'm a little worried about the Ping, it's show some new growth but slow. I'm worried the lava rock may be absorbing to much water, what are some good signs of to much water with Pings? Humidity is around 55%-60%.

Thanks,
    Justin

Last edited by summit; 01-09-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am working on a similar setup now. Rather than a level planting media I formed a hill to one side and a small aquatic area formed in the front. I can drain and change water from the aquatic area but I don't think it will be very necessary, I water it with only 0-1 TDS RO water.

Keep in mind different planting media for the different types of dews etc. I dug out a pocket in the peat and filled it with turface to plant mexi-pings in. The lava rock should be fine. Just give the ping time to adjust, keep in mind you just transplanted it twice. Pings don't seem to be particularly prone to transplant shock but they can lag behind for a bit.

I'm also giving some pygmy gemmae a try in my setup, I mixed a little extra sand into a somewhat deeper area of the media and put the gemmae there. Pygmies are typically planted in deep pots so a deeper media for them in your setup might be preferred.

If you want a carpeted sorta of look you can try an easy utric like U. livida to fill in gaps, that'll also have the bonus of a nice flower stalk (or 100) here and there.

Also if you dont care how the equipment looks you can try fashioning a DIY reflector for those bulbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelrod12 View Post
    I am working on a similar setup now. Rather than a level planting media I formed a hill to one side and a small aquatic area formed in the front. I can drain and change water from the aquatic area but I don't think it will be very necessary, I water it with only 0-1 TDS RO water.
    Care to share some pictures? At first I made a small pool but it quickly turned into peat colored water... I'm also using RO water so I'm not to worried about water changes.

Keep in mind different planting media for the different types of dews etc. I dug out a pocket in the peat and filled it with turface to plant mexi-pings in. The lava rock should be fine. Just give the ping time to adjust, keep in mind you just transplanted it twice. Pings don't seem to be particularly prone to transplant shock but they can lag behind for a bit.
    Okay thank you for the reassurance!

If you want a carpeted sorta of look you can try an easy utric like U. livida to fill in gaps, that'll also have the bonus of a nice flower stalk (or 100) here and there.
    Should I be worried about the Livida taking over the gemmae?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small update. I did some reading on humidity and decided that a steady level of 45%-50% even when misted wasn't enough. Luckily my father had some spare 3/8" plexiglass laying around so he fabbed me up a lid.

Lid mapped out so that the ballast would be dead center and so the bulbs would hang inside the tank.

The result was a constant 80% humidity until I mist and then it holds steady at 100% for the whole day. Plant wise everything is starting to come around, the slowest being the D. Spatulata. The Ping is slowly but surely coming along, I've kept about three Pings total and have never had one send up a stalk! And hopefully within the weeks I'll have some new inhabitants to add.

Last edited by summit; 01-09-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast