What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maximum Wattage and Light Pollution

My current grow area is 43"x22" and my light is a AgroBrite 2' 4 bulb t5ho. The issue I have now is 2' doesn't cut it anymore with how quickly everything is reproducing. I wanted to upgrade to a 4' but I wanted people's opinions on a 4 bulb or a 6 bulb, with the 6 bulb it totals at 324w and I would have 3 6400k bulbs and 3 3500k bulbs. As for the 4 bulb it's rated at 216w and I would be using 2 6400k bulbs and 2 3500k bulbs. I'm really wanting to bring out the red in all my Droseras and Pings but I don't wanna cook the Pings which is where I'm at a hold.

My other question is about light pollution (if that's even the right name for it) but with everything on a shelf when the lights are off the plant are still exposed to the room lighting (a lamp and two computer monitors) nothing direct but I was curious to know if this would have a long term affect on the plants?

Thanks,
Justin

I used a 6 bulb for years, with it within 6 inches of the plants. However, I used constant flow, evaporative cooling in those few inches.
T5 are designed to run hot for maximum efficiency so you don't want to "cool" the bulbs themselves with direct airflow.

It really depends on your set up, can you provide the airflow/cooling needed, how close do you want the plants, what genus, species etc etc...

I know of at least one plant that will not bloom if ANY light exist during its dark period, but I don't know of any documented issues with CP's

Last edited:
I used a 6 bulb for years, with it within 6 inches of the plants. However, I used constant flow, evaporative cooling in those few inches.
T5 are designed to run hot for maximum efficiency so you don't want to "cool" the bulbs themselves with direct airflow.

It really depends on your set up, can you provide the airflow/cooling needed, how close do you want the plants, what genus, species etc etc...

I know of at least one plant that will not bloom if ANY light exist during its dark period, but I don't know of any documented issues with CP's

Space is an issue so I don't think I can support cooling for the lights also. At the moment with the current light it's ~8" away from the plants and they have some red but not their full potential. Maybe it's possible that with the 4' 6 bulb it'll make them color up with the same distance. Would it be worth finding the operating temps of the lamp?

Its not a big issue unless you go off the deep end..... iirc the cold spot temp of T5 is 165f, buy don't quote me on that

Just avoid blowing cold air on the bulbs and you will be fine, they were designed for high bay warehouse applications after.

2' foot fixtures are very anemic, you will notice a major difference... just make sure the reflectors are parabolic or faceted around each bulb and have a mirror like finish.

Last edited:
Its not a big issue unless you go off the deep end..... iirc the cold spot temp of T5 is 165f, buy don't quote me on that

Just avoid blowing cold air on the bulbs and you will be fine, they were designed for high bay warehouse applications after.

2' foot fixtures are very anemic, you will notice a major difference... just make sure the reflectors are parabolic or faceted around each bulb and have a mirror like finish.

There won't be any cool air directly on the bulbs, ac vent on the other side of the room and a ceiling fan. When you say 'amenic' could you elaborate? As for the reflectors, it's the same company that makes my current light and it does have a mirror finish but they aren't as deep as some reflectors you can buy. Here's the lamp I would be purchasing.

just one 4' T5 puts out approximately the same amount of energy as 2.5 2' bulbs

if they have individual mirrored reflectors than that is what you want, otherwise you lose much of what can be gained with the narrower diameter of the t5

Extraneous light is generally more of a problem with temperate plants that experience strong seasonal influences. Such plants "know" what season it is mostly by the length of the day, so light at the wrong time can definitely mess with their normal processes such as flowering.

just one 4' T5 puts out approximately the same amount of energy as 2.5 2' bulbs

if they have individual mirrored reflectors than that is what you want, otherwise you lose much of what can be gained with the narrower diameter of the t5

Oh wow so there will most definitely be a difference shown from the plants with the new light. As for the lights they are reflected individually, looks like I am set to order it. Thanks for the help!

Extraneous light is generally more of a problem with temperate plants that experience strong seasonal influences. Such plants "know" what season it is mostly by the length of the day, so light at the wrong time can definitely mess with their normal processes such as flowering.

How sensitive are they to extraneous light? I would say it would be like having the plants outside and maybe a light shinning through a window and hitting them, of course the light isn't hitting them 24/7 just 4-5 hours after the light over them is turned off.

Back