User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunlight / Artificial Light questions !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I understand how dormancy works, and I did what I could for them (sorry to hijack the thread, Gabcat) but I lacked the means to bring on a full deathlike state this year. My options were A) put them outside and kill them with temperatures consistently between freezing and below zero or B) keep them inside, follow light cues from the sun, and hope to have the funding/space to perform better next year but still at least have living plants. I chose the living plants option, and I honestly feel like things have gone relatively well this winter, considering.

Meanwhile, do you have an answer for Gabcat on your own experience with artificial lighting in terrariums?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the experience of the VFT growers on the ICPS listserv it seems photoperiod is the most significant factor in dormancy, not temperature. I have a VFT clone which has been grown indoor under lights for over a decade and is healthier than the plants I grow outdoors all year round.

A VFT from a tissue culture source may have been grown under artificial conditions and may not be dormant as it is not in sync with natural conditions.

It is possible to get good coloration under artificial light. Each clone has there own optimal environment.

Dionaea 'B-52' grown under Sunblaze 8 tube T5 fixture:

Dionaea muscipula "Hosford Bog, FL" grown under 4 two foot T8 tubes
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your advices!

Some people keep telling that sunlight will Always be better than artificial, but no one explain why! That confuses me a lot

Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    You should worry about finding a suitable light, but it's a very minor worry.
    I'm not deciding it yet, but, my backyard plants have a lot of plagues and maybe some had diseases, that leads me to thinking in having carnivors inside :c
    Last edited by Gabcat; 01-23-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gabcat, sunlight is FREE which makes it better. LOL

Seriously, plants are made to grow in the sun so they will love the sun. But if there ain't enough lighting inside the house, then artificial light is required. I live in an apartment and the sun's direction change so VFTs hate that. Over the years , I've tried T8, PL and T5 FL. Currently, I am using mostly white LEDs because the red/blue leds colour annoys me. Hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm, I know, I feel bad for not having them outside!, but I'm very afraid about bug infestation, I'm barely caring them sccesfully and I don't want more problems! I'm new into this haha. Also, I want to install some solar energy devices when I finish to learn how then give to my plants all the natural conditions they need, except natural sunlight, U_U But! If solarlight it's just specific wavelenghts, it' seems plausible to replace it to me
    Last edited by Gabcat; 01-23-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunlight is high quality light, but houses can get in the way and reduce the quantity which hits plants grown in them.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of us are probably echoing what we've been taught. Here's an article that explains the difference between sunlight and artificial light: Natural Light Versus Artificial Light

Having said that, Notanumber speaks from an experiential perspective, and that has to be respected. My own observation shows that when my plants are on the grow rack, dierctly under Gro-lites, at a south-facing set of glass doors, flower stalks always bend to the direction of the sun, through the panes of glass. They don't bend toward the bulbs, which are only a few inches away.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gabcat View Post
    Thank you all for your advices!

Some people keep telling that sunlight will Always be better than artificial, but no one explain why! That confuses me a lot

I'm not deciding it yet, but, my backyard plants have a lot of plagues and maybe some had diseases, that leads me to thinking in having carnivors inside :c
    Typical output of sun = 400 trillion, trillion watts (1)...
    Typical 48" T5 =54 watts

Full sun is about 12,000 foot-candles (2),
    A 4 Bulb (40w ea.), T12 fixture that is 0.5 foot from the plant is about 900 foot-candles

so while maybe not always better, some effort and coin must be invested

Notes:
    (1) total amount of energy radiated by measuring the quantity of solar energy/second reaching every square meter of Earth and then multiplying that by the total surface area of a sphere with radius equal to the radius of Earth orbit

(2) A foot-candle is defined as the amount of light received by 1 square foot of a surface that is 1 foot from a point source of light equivalent to one candle of a certain type.

Maybe oversimplified, but meh....
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 01-24-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast