User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunlight / Artificial Light questions !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Sunlight / Artificial Light questions !

Hello, I have my first 2 dionaeas for about 1 month, I had them in a windowsill but recieved poor light and high temperatures, then, since they traps didn't colour at all, I'm thinking having them in a terrarium, in my room.

Is it possible to fully replace sunlight with artificial light ? what I mean to say, can indoor plants have the same results (health, growing rate, etc) as plants who recieves natural sunlight?

I don't quite understand how.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Gabcat; 01-21-2016 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. You just have to be willing and able to buy a suitable fixture and run it. That's easy. The dormancy your vfts require for their long term wellbeing may be more of a challenge.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, that's great ! But, I read they need some ultraviolet and infrared light , that would make the terrarium lighting and plants look strange? like...warm, reddish, or intense violet. I don't like that
    Last edited by Gabcat; 01-21-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabcat View Post
    Oh, that's great ! But, I read they need some ultraviolet and infrared light , that would make the terrarium lighting and plants look strange? like...warm, reddish, or intense violet. I don't like that
    FYI ultraviolet is at a wavelength above the human eye's ability to see, and infrared is below it. They will have no effect on what the light looks like. I think you're confusing red/blue led grow lights with IR and UV.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 01-21-2016 at 10:57 PM.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    FYI ultraviolet is at a wavelength above the human eye's ability to see, and infrared is below it. They will have no effect on what the light looks like. I think you're confusing red/blue led grow lights with IR and UV.
    lol, you're right, somehow I thought UV bulb would look violet because I could not see it ultraviolet spectrum, like watching a light residue...haha silly me :P I was scatteredbrained

So, I should not worry about anything
    Last edited by Gabcat; 01-21-2016 at 11:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabcat View Post
    lol, you're right, somehow I thought UV bulb would look violet because I could not see it ultraviolet spectrum...haha silly me :P I was scatteredbrained

So, I should not worry about anything
    You should worry about finding a suitable light, but it's a very minor worry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow some smashing CPs in a small terrarium with only a Jungledawn LED bulb I got from lightyourreptiles. It costs a pretty penny, but nothing spectacular (I believe I got it for 45 dollars or so, including shipping) and totally worth it, if you ask me. While the growth on my 'Akai Ryu' vfts has all but halted for winter, their color remains a gorgeous deep maroon. If you don't have the space to rig up a fluorescent tube light fixture, Jungledawn is the way to go, since they'll screw into the sockets on any standard aquarium hood. I've tried other bulbs to screw into a regular bulb-socket, but this is the best option I've come across so far.

I don't have a timer for my lights, unfortunately. I just turn them on when the sky gets light, and off again when it's getting dark. Seems to have worked fairly well over the last year or so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are growing these plants in the northern hemisphere where it's now deep winter, Flytraps should be dormant at this point. Do you understand how temperate dormancy works with North American plants?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast