What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Been waiting a long time for this

• Thread starter eithan0693
  • Start date
I've had these forever now growing in with my plants. Only just got a good enough cam to take a pic so have a look.

54cc075cab9477f4ec108da676a23968.jpg
bf74bff1d267043b58a22c83ecbef7e5.jpg
b6833448c084a6020cd890a25014ced2.jpg
a21389e7ddc339fab04460159098a7bb.jpg

They even glow when it's not dark.

I've been using my phone camera for a long time I only just got an expensive camera but I'm enjoying it.

3822dab6433364630d45db3b565ddf99.jpg
dffeb27ffe7bc2eed1f8af23ebc2e7c5.jpg
b63d4fcf2957563691b997972e8a0452.jpg
324c3949e3dc502b397baf2ac7771aaf.jpg
34a3a689f369515310663e0e6ff0f4e2.jpg

I must say I'm deeply enjoying my new toy !

Last edited:
Great pictures, I love them ! What are the luminescent plants/things ?

Absolutely spectacular!
Panellus stipticus is my favorite mushroom.
I tried to grow them ten years ago but failed.
One day again maybe..

Hold it, mushrooms are grown as a hobby?

Time for a new obsession.

Friggen right they are, plus they produce co2 which helps my plants

I did a little research on recreational mushroom growing after seeing this, thanks for the help with species. Where can you find these things for sale?

They are pretty expensive online , especially if your looking for a sterile culture slant. I had many issues with mold my first go around but I managed to get a sterile sample using agar eventually and now I have a couple sterile cultures and none sterile ones

If you treat them like a medicinal mushroom you will have great success but you will need a mini lab. You can DIY a lab , I did, which is an amazing learning experience and will give you the tools to cultivate any fungi on the planet. Or you can buy some spawn for 30$ or a culture slant for 50$ off eBay? I may be able to part with some of mine but my none sterile cultures have spring tails in them. If you can have it ready to spawn when you get it.. it's very likely you will end up with a nice culture like mine.

Is it possible to buy established mushroom colonies? Is that more expensive?

- - - Updated - - -

Responded to your post before last just now.

Established mushroom collonies are not sterile and need slight maintenance.

Do you grow them in a terrarium or do you just have a log with mushrooms growing on them in your living room? Do they need high humidity? Are they hard to care for? Where did you get the log? Thanks for answering my questions.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet again I am one post behind, what does the maintenance involve?

Ahaha hopefully your caught up now I'm sorry
Happy to provide any information you would like.

My none sterile culture which is about a year old is mold resistant and grows in with my carnivorous plants.
7cd175e4b0705298def5fc01e98cfc6d.jpg
30521178c847723dc2151379c12098f6.jpg

Those are the type different ones I have growing. Ones that are on a log and ones that are on sawdust. After awhile certain strains can be triggered to develop a tolerance or even build an immunity to green mold! ( The most aggressive contamination of fungi growers ) . I did and documented a study on p. Stipticus fighting Off a trich ( green mold ) infection, then it proceeded to not only kill, but eat and use the other fungi as a source of nutrients and the spots of contamination ended up fruiting the heaviest with Stipticus. Absolutely amazing experience. This is the very same DNA chain , Maybe slight variation due to spores germinating and them adding to the colony.

Maintaining them includes keeping 1 yellow sticky stick ( fungus gnat trap ) some carnivorous plants, and misting. High humidity at all times and keeping the spring tails and fungus gnats down are your goals. I've been doing it for 2 years now, rheh survive in nature where its not sterile and they have alot more obstacles to over come. On the other hand I made sure to habe sterile back up cultures.

f75f2653954457ab671496365ad7e8fd.jpg

In case anything did go wrong. They are just simple culture slants

No problem, the same thing happened with my very first thread. Which do you think is easier, log or sawdust growing? Also, what's a culture slant? Thanks.

A culture slant is a test tube filled with agar on a slant. Literally on an angle to make it easier to get out. You take a sample out of it in a sterile environment and transfer it to another sterile agar plate or slant.

Its easiest to start with sawdust spawn let it grow through the sawdust then drill holes into a log and pack it into the log, let it grow and it will fruit off the log.

Thanks, what do you think of the kits? I found one on eBay and it had good reviews.

Expect molds that's all I can say aha, on the flip side.. mold resistance.. so if it's cheap, comes with spawn and some wax or candle , I would say go for it.

Absolutely spectacular species.
Im amazed that they have become more popular,
back ten years ago you could find absolutely
nothing on how these live or grow..

Also, are you not worried about your air being saturated with spores?
I know that this is a very poisonous mushroom.

Also, I just remembered I may have a syringe with some ancient spores. (maybe 5-7 years)
Ive also got a bag of cottonwood wood shavings/dust. Think they would have a chance?

Depends on what species of spores you have pm me about that If you want.

Nope, p. Stip isn't poisonous at all, they just taste bitter..

They are panellus Stipticus.
Also, Have you ever grown these out from a print?

Back