What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Been waiting a long time for this

• Thread starter eithan0693
  • Start date
Expect molds that's all I can say aha, on the flip side.. mold resistance.. so if it's cheap, comes with spawn and some wax or candle , I would say go for it.
What would the candle be used for?

What would the candle be used for?

When using plugs, you need a log.
When you drill holes into the log, you then insert your colonized plugs.
Then, wax is dripped over the openings to seal off the mycelium, so it can colonize the log.

Right on Mark. No I have never use Stipticus spores but I read they last 10+ years under good conditions

Expect molds that's all I can say aha, on the flip side.. mold resistance.. so if it's cheap, comes with spawn and some wax or candle , I would say go for it.
Can the mold be dealt with without killing the mushrooms, can I rely on the mushrooms "resistance" the mold? Thanks.

There is no way of killing the mold without the harming the mushrooms. You can however take a sample and isolate onto agar like I did if mold becomes too much of an issue.
8319806018b016fedcf16c58d163cb33.jpg
46f2c77cc46bd28e52aedd482b8f3737.jpg

Here you can see p.stip fighting off and eating green mold aha..

They're impressive little fungi. Does the green mold kill the mushrooms or just out compete them for resources? Thanks.

The green mold tries to kill the p. Stip, but the stip fights back. Depends on ratios. If you have an agar plate that's 50% green mold and 50% p. Stipticus the stip will grow over and assimilate the green mold it's SO cool

Curt, in mushroom cultivation your biggest enemy will be green mold.
Whenever you are trying to colonize substrate, your goal is to avoid all mold, as it could
Be toxic, and the mold will compete against your mushrooms.

Yeah there's only 2 species of cultivated fungi that I know of that have mold resistance enough to fight off an infection.

Green mold will usually destroy a fungal culture

P. Stipticus and oyster mushrooms are the two that I know of that have resistance to mold

Could I pick out any mold I find or will that just release 50 bazillion spores and increase the problem tenfold?

Dotting with a q tip in peroxide is best way to manage.

With Stipticus it will fight the mold , with anything else you throw it out and start over .

Ok, thanks for all the help. I'm probably gonna go with the kit. Also thanks for introducing me to my latest obsession. Growing glow-in-the-dark mushrooms shall be awesome!

Not a problem , the kits are kinda pricey. I've been thinking about selling sawdust spawn because I can probably sell it 5$ a pop

The kit I found was only $20. What's the ongoing price for kits?

About that much but for what you get thats expensive. You get a small baggie of half colonised substrate, but given care it will grow

Perhaps I should take your mushroom spawn. Where are you selling them?

You can get the one off eBay :) I got mine there and made it this far. I'm in Canada tho

I'm in ohio, I'll see if I can find some on eBay. Thanks.

Back