What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Been waiting a long time for this

• Thread starter eithan0693
  • Start date
I will, it's a good reason to learn how to post pictures.

You say that the mushrooms are edible, however
every site that has ever offered them has strict warning of internal bleeding.

Have you actually tried them?? how much?

If you read up on the species itself them you can see its also known as the bitter oyster. The mushrooms themselves are not that big so not much. I spent lots of time handeling it never had any issues with it, even with contamination

I pick it up right out of the ecosystem, bare hands not washed, breath right on it bathing it in bacteria and God knows how many spores I've inhailed with no harm here!

You have it naturally growing in your area??

Thats so cool dude.
Where do you live if you dont mind me asking?

Lol they don't grow naturally here. it's in with my carnivorous plants :)
d039a423823ee4c26c1997eda0dc2ca5.jpg

I put them there lol

You have it naturally growing in your area??

Thats so cool dude.
Where do you live if you dont mind me asking?

They grow pretty everywhere. In America, in Britain, I think that they live in Europe too. The British/European varieties don't glow though. I believe that the glowing variety is most prevalent in the northeastern U.S. Correct me if I'm wrong.

They grow pretty everywhere. In America, in Britain, I think that they live in Europe too. The British/European varieties don't glow though. I believe that the glowing variety is most prevalent in the northeastern U.S. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Im aware of where they come from, I just wanted to know if op literally had them wild in his neighborhood.
They are also in the same range as the other glowing mushrooms nicknamed "Foxfires" and Jackolanterns.

Im aware of where they come from, I just wanted to know if op literally had them wild in his neighborhood.
They are also in the same range as the other glowing mushrooms nicknamed "Foxfires" and Jackolanterns.
Oh, my apologies.

Its all good guys simple miscommunication. I also have some just hanging out in a bowl xD completely None sterile with rotting leaves next to it, good stuff xD ecosystem for the win..

But no this is all my personal collection nothing wild here. I have a room dedicated to this stuff

Those white button mushrooms you buy at the store [to ear]... I have heard you can cut off the stem and treat it like any other mushroom and it would grow? It would be cool to grow my own edible mushrooms.

Anyone heard of this?

I've done it but the species you get at the stores don't grow well

Ok- I however just watched lots of videos, I think I will try oysters if my store has them. Definitly want to try the glow ones one day too!

Has anyone noticed that this thread is growing very, very quickly? It's two days old and already has over 50 posts.

Definitely TRY strains from the store just be aware they are slow
This is due to the people who grow them purposely exhauste the colonies to near senescence. Good luck tho!! It very well may work there's lots of sites on it and lots of videos.

Obviously it got big quickly... Glow in the dark mushrooms! I'll prot try to get some more pics later when my lights go off

It's a post about incredibly weird and wonderful and wacky (not plants) GROWING THINGS!!! Of course it'll grow quickly! I think we've found an opportunity for more sales from the terraforums shop, if they're interested in providing. Not likely, though, considering the incredibly limited selection I've seen in the past.

Alright so here we are, I actually took it out early so I could get a bunch of shots under different light and settings

ce14cc1eeee9618a6ef03733082a9025.jpg

00c800d0f2702d76785c3ec85865aa42.jpg

3d388cb28ccdbd2ce28fba119fae25d8.jpg

No filters no specific effects , just messing with shutter speed.

42fae14b3b9fc576588f1170fb37f85c.jpg

Not concerned about holding them

e7a86e04886388f226b43e0c413778d1.jpg

Not even concerned about mold, yes that's a moldy leaf I willingly exposed my colony too.

88682870beb4e6fcc29aa5296f9b8d2f.jpg

854e382604111147365a44e597c01134.jpg

And their growing environment. There's a dome that goes over top to keep humidity in

Oh but wait there's more..

c497ef0e0c62602bc13c792f6b3994a3.jpg

607bd24ddeb69a14fd3b26655d9c40fb.jpg

82e7c4c3fb6b10e5ac4c7e3c950e5afc.jpg

46418a19f4db7c23553b111f25cbb2c4.jpg

Last one I actually lowered the shutter speed , but yes they are a blue green when they get older and die. It's very difficult to get the colour to pick up the because of contrast.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Best... Fungus... Ever!

Back