Informational! Informational!:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DIY remote controlled LED fixture

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to read into this sometime in the future. Automated watering is my primary concern, but it would be great to be able to keep track of temperature and humidity as well.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you @emc2! I wanted to mess around with micro-controllers for a while now and this would be a great project to do it. I will start the way you did in this thread with LED lights and later build controls around it them (with a lot of trial and error). This is a very motivational thread!

PS. Give us an update on how the plants look/grow under your lights sometime.
    Last edited by gill_za; 05-17-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @gill_za. You can also just start with a basic 5mm LED, no need to start with the real thing. And if later on you want one of the a PCB for the real thing feel free to PM me.

Plants are doing well. Transition from the shade of the patio to the bright light was a little rough for most of them, but they recovered. I may have been more gentle too, but I don't mind having plants looking crappy for a few weeks.

I tried to do that scientifically, when I bough some hardware I also rescued a $4 typical VFT at Lowes. For ~3 weeks this was the only plant under the lights, as a guinea pig. It was surprisingly nice when I bough it, probably just received by the store:

Now, after 6 weeks under the lights colors came up and new leafs are nicely shaped and no longer etiolated (as the leaf on the bottom left) :

D. venusta took a long time before going dewy again, but for last 2 weeks new leafs look healthy again. It's also starting to flower which may not help the leafs.

D. binata multifida extrema only took 1 week to adapt, but this one is tough. Also start to put a flower stalk. And I still don't know how to take a nice picture of this sticky mess...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi..Im new here from SA. Im super excited to see that the full spectrum leds can be used for CP.. Here in SA the CP are not so big and im am very envious of some of the stuff i see here.. Anyway just wanted to know if this will work with nepenthes to.. Im building a terrarium as a greenhouse is not possible for me... Thinking of using the full spectrum leds with one or 2 4000k leds for viewing as this will be in my living room..Whats your thoughts on this @emc2.
    Last edited by Arries; 05-18-2016 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Double post

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SA = South America? I suppose it depends on exactly where you live, but a terrarium likely isn't necessary, and isn't the easiest way to start with CPs. There's a lot of plants that will grow just fine at moderate, and even very low humidity.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Arries short answer, I don't see why it wouldn't work with Nepenthes.

Then as nimbulan mentioned it may not be necessary, depending on many factors.
    Most Nep are quite happy even in partial sun and for me are growing outside with only 1-2h of morning and 1-2h of evening sun, protected by the shade of a tree during hottest hours. This was clearly not enough sunlight for droseras, vft and sarr that looked terrible.
    Neps can be happy behind a window so you may be able to grow them in your house without any additional light.
    Of course all of that depends a lot on the actual conditions where you live. I'm like nimbulan on this one, not sure either what SA stands for. I was thinking of South Africa, but it seems SA is the official country code for Saudi Arabia. Definitively different weather and Neps may not survive outdoor conditions everywhere.
    It also depends on the neps you want to grow. You will probably find more advices in the Nep section of the forum for specific species.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi yes sorry SA=South Africa.. Well humidity is like 30% and that's winter..My 1st nep would grow but not pitcher due to low humidity..Stuck him in a old aquarium with 10x40w cfl's and keeping humidity at 80-95% and he has 4 new pitchers forming now.. But anyway going off topic.. I will give the lights a try and see what happens.. Stuff is just hard to find here and very expensive if you do.. And don't always trust the EBay stuff...

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of nepenthes do you have? Many species can acclimate to low humidity and still pitcher in low humidity.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast