What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips for making a better terrarium?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61s1H+ttARL.jpg

The current one I have just houses plants that can handle indoor humidity, since it has screen mesh. How would, or even should, I cover that up to increase the humidity. Will it be healthy airflow wise? Is the new thing to convert to LEDs instead of lights, or should I just dodge that sector. Thanks!

I would never have thought to use an exo terra as a plant terrarium. o0 you can use led's if you want, but it's not necessary. Airflow depends on what types of plants are in there. The screen in itself should provide adequate airflow for most plants.

This one is no longer setup but the construction log is still valid.
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/p...onia-cephalotus-/125069-vivarium-project.html

Page 3 is how I make them now, although the one I'm working on now has been untouched for over a year.
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/g...ardens/128737-exo-terra-nano-tall-setups.html

Check out Parts & Construction - Dendroboard for lots of build logs, you can generally search the site and find your exact tank with 5-10 peoples builds listed.

And if you happen to be in TX in the DFW area....I have many extra tanks :)

The current one I have just houses plants that can handle indoor humidity, since it has screen mesh. How would, or even should, I cover that up to increase the humidity. Will it be healthy airflow wise? Is the new thing to convert to LEDs instead of lights, or should I just dodge that sector. Thanks!

The problem with those terrariums is that the top mesh is too open. So if you want to maintain a high humidity you may want to replace the mesh with glass sheets. Just like I did with a similar terrarium. Of course leave the corners off so the air circulates. Also the smaller mesh at the front should be at least partially open. Add some fans (usually computer fans) inside to help with air circulation.

You could use LED lights but CFLs are easier to get and are cheaper. Also if you need the terrarium to heat up during the day the lights do that "for free" if they are inside. Note that in that case you should use fixtures than can handle the humidity (I use Arcadia Ultra Seal units).

Thanks for all the info everyone! Looks like I have some reading to catch up on.

In the mean time, where would I get one of these glass sheets, assuming I have everything else I need.

Last edited:
I have the same terrarium as you, two actually side by side. I have a 4 bulb 4 foot t8 on top. Fits like a glove. each tank is 2 foot wide. I do not have fans and have low humidity. The plants eventually all acclimated but i mist it once to twice a day to help. One tank holds water where the other over time leaked. I do keep the one that holds the water as my terrarium that has the soil in it and everything planted. The other that leaks every plant is potted. It does have lower humidity from the heat of the lights on top. I bet a fan will help a lot but you should be set with what you have. Maybe get another so you can use the 4 ' fixtures.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Looks like I have some reading to catch up on.

In the mean time, where would I get one of these glass sheets, assuming I have everything else I need.

Most of your chain or local hardware stores sell glass and many will cut it to your dimensions. Otherwise you can always just call a glass store in the phone book :) The hardware store will be much cheaper thou, I think my last piece was $2-4 cut to size.

Oh and this is glass cutting so they WILL be off 1/4" or so, so make sure and give them some wiggle room.

Last edited:
Back