What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium Pics

Well, I think I've figured out how to post a picture, it sure is alot of work though LOL.  This seems a good place to test if I've got it right.  Sorry in advance if it doesn't work or if its too big or too small (details, details, details  LOL)

Well, with any luck, heres one of my tank; soon to be under construction again, but working well so far.

12640355-992b-00800060-.jpg

Ok, so I HAVEN'T figured it out. Will try again later  LOL

One more time?

12640354-b281-00800060-.jpg

This might be better cause I'm not blocking the view
biggrin.gif

Wow...cool terrariums guys! I'm still working on finding a way to post pics. Once I do I'll post my new terrarium. The last one I put up pics of is gone, I've gone bigger!
smile.gif

WOW! NG, nick, and swords, those tanks are wild! i love the vast array of plants you guys are showing, and a lot too! your right travis, big is better! i have a 125 gal tank im going to be doing up soon
smile.gif
cost for setting up is gonna be expensive, so im gonna do a lil at a time, til its done, were those plants hot glued to the back of the tank? i see green water on the bottom of the one tank, is that from itself aging, or you drop something in there? also, i see a moss bottom too, oooooo, i love it, live? or bagged moss? and that peaked terrarium, was that made, or you buy that? only thing i can say is, WOW! i like all your tanks in here, how long have they been setup?

ccrider

Thanks CCRider!
I think you were mentioning my tank when you asked about the greenwater and the plants glued to the back so here goes:

The greenwater is actually some form of duckweed, a tiny two leaved floating plant with a few roots which dangle down underwater. I accidentally introduced some from one of my killifish tanks by using the same turkey baster to suck up water and water the epiphytes (plants attached to the back wall) and now I'm stuck with it til I take the tank ouside and flush it out with a hose. One 1/8" dukweed plant can become the "carpet" you see above in only a couple months! A real pest plant so never introduce it to your tanks water unless you like the look of carpeted water. It grows especially fast in peaty acid water as you find in a CP (or killifish) terrarium!

The plants hanging on the back wall in my 75 gallon tank are affixed to a background of green colored 1" thick cocofiber panels (you can get it at reptile/terrarium or orchid shops). The tilandsia, unknown orchids and ant plants really like climbing through this mat. I attach them by digging into the panel putting the plants in the hole/indentation and then I take two wooden toothpicks in the shape of an "X" over the bottom 1/3 or so of the plant or plant roots. Then water with either a turkeybaster (to get into the hole you made in the panel) and mist with a mister whenever you think of it. So long as the tank is nearly sealed you will have plenty of humidity to keep them happy between waterings I almost never fertilize them and they grow/bloom just fine. The toothpick method holds them securely in place and the toothpicks may be removed in 2-6 months depending upon how quickly the plants take root into it. Orchids seem to take the longest and I have one which hasn't taken a good enough hold for toothpick removal even after 1 year!

Hope that helps!
smile.gif

Thanks for the kind words ccrider! I would post more pictures of my Nepenthes and my Sarracenia collection but I haven't a place to load my pictures up to.
tounge.gif

I need a BIGGER TANK! That is all I have to say...

Here is my solution:

More plants = BIGGER smiles

I will never be done,
travis
wink.gif

wow you guys (and girls) have some amazing terreriums out there!i wish mine were that good.........

Update on my growth chamber/indoor greenhouse.

Added the following plants over the last week:

N. ampullaria, N. rafflesiana, N. sanguinea, N. bicalcarata, S. oreophila. Also added a cool mist humidifier that has been keeping the humidity between 85% - 99%.

S. oreophila will be moved to a new location as soon as I have checked out the cost of heating my sunroom.

LowerRackNeps.jpg

Ok, I changed my setup once again! My terrarium is a 23 gallon tank with 2 - 60 watt florescent grow lights and 1 - 90 watt of the same. The lights are about 8-10 inches above the plants which are sitting on a false bottom (the false bottom has a few inches of water in it, and the ultrasonic mister sits in that water). All of my plants are in seperate pots (the VFT's are sitting on top of 2 inch tupperware containers to be closer to the light). The drosera and VFT's are 3 and 4 inch pots in a dish with about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom, and the mimosa are in regular potting soil. I have all 3 lights on for the first half of the day, then I turn off the 90 watt to simulate outdoor behaviour with the movement of the sun. I'm slowly decreasing the light by 1/2 hour a week to get my VFT's prepared for dormancy. I will try to get pics up soon!

Yay! Finally.. my little set up.. or at least part of it..
neptank.jpg

tanks3.jpg

tank1.jpg

Here's the terrarium in my room.  All my other neps and CP's are growing outside.
nep_tank2.jpg

Very left, a Green Dragon given to me by WickedThistle.
First row, l-r: N. x Rokko, N. rafflesiana, (blue pot: N. Judith Finn and N. rafflesiana)
Back row, l-r: N. bicalcarata x ?, N. truncata, N. Judith Finn
Top of terrarium: Gubler's hybrid that refuses to produce pitchers!

Hmm I am only seeing this clubphoto add for half of the pics in this thread,like those from nepenthes gracilis. Do I need to change a setting or something?

Seedling, your settings are fine.  Many of those pics were posted before ClubPhoto quit letting people link to their freebe photo section.

ha ha... Purplesundew I love it how you planted a sundew or something in a cow..
biggrin.gif

Actually.. the cow is full of U. sandersonii
smile.gif

Here are my terrarium pics:

CP_Terrarium.JPG

Left to right: N. Sanguinea, N. Ventricosa as well U. Calycifia, U. Tricolor, D. Burmunii red tentacles, D. Spathulata, D. Alaciae which can't be seen
sad.gif

CP_Terrarium2.JPG

Left to right: N. Ampullaria, N. Truncata, N. x Ventrata

purplesundew..........I can only dream about terrariums like you have........those are fantastic!!!!!!!

this is mine terrarium......this picture suck, but I can take new one because my friend use my camera now.

there is 1-dionaea, 1-pinguicula weser and 2-n.x.ventrata.
(some seeds to)

Back