What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Few Questions

ok i am going to get some CPs to start a terrarium within the next week or two. i dont know if i have already asked about these plants, but here goes.
N.Raff. is it a good beginners choice?
what about D. Spathulata and D. Adelae?

here is the setup. 10 gallon with hood, saran wrap for to keep humidity in. 2 compact flourescent bulbs. any comments?

o yea. i dont want to sound like i jerk , but the plants i that i might buy from PFT, they wont be no small small plants now will they? bc i have heard of places that do that.

thanks in advance.

o yea one more thing. how much is shipping usually?

thanks

I don't know about the shipping but D. spath and Adalae are really easy beginning plants and are perfect in a terrarium together. They both don't need dormancy. I don't know about the nep. Never had that kind. Your setup sounds almost exactly like mine except that I don't have a hood. Just a piece of plexiglass with a shop light above it. I also have a lizard humidifier to boost humidity but it doesn't do much. I wouldn't recommend it. The spath that I got from pft was a clump of about nine plants that was an inch and a half across. I don't know if that's the average but I don't really see why mine would be that different then all the others.

N.Raff. is a good beginners choice but it might get too large for 10 gallon terrarium. maybe better to start with N. ventrata
or some smaller ones.
Pet plants are very good choice as they are nice size and in great condition.
Arie

It is usually the very rare (and usually expensive) neps that come in 1-2" sizes (and sometimes smaller&#33
wink.gif
, the more common, easy growing neps usually come about 4" or better.

Large neps command a pretty high price due to the length of time it takes to grow them to a large size. A mature N. truncata at an Orchid shop near me (with 15-20" pitchers) fetches $400 and the humungous N. bicalcarata, campanulata and veitchii even more. At least it give you something to aim for when you can see and touch a nearly 2 foot tall truncata pitcher, even if my own truncatas pitchers are only 2 inches tall at the moment...!
smile.gif

srry
biggrin.gif
i have changed my mind, i am just going to get VFTs and grow in the terrarium.
confused.gif

thanks to you that have replyed
smile.gif

Back