What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog construction

What is a good cheap bog liner
or what is the cheapest way to make a big one
i want to make a 12 x 12 or sumthing close to that

As for a cheap liner, i don't know. if you aren't going to use a prefab tub of some sort, i would recommend using some kind of very thick plastic to line it with. The Savage Garden mentions using a swimming pool liner. depending on size, a cut up water bed matress might work...

Keep in mind, if you make it 12' x 12', you won't have anyway to maintain/weed the center of the bog.

peace,
Technoracer

Check around at local garden centers, home improvement stores and pool and patio shops. You can buy plastic sheet liners in various thicknesses and widths. Prefabricated units are also available and are sold in the same area.

When you say 12x12, do you mean 12'x12' feet or 12"x12" inches?

If you do make it 12'x12', you can make a walking area down the center to make it easier to weed, or mound up some peat and put stepping stones in at farious spots to help with the weeding.

You can get a fairly decent priced liner off of the internet. Check the shipping weight of the material. Bog lining is easy so you can use a stiffer material. I used a new, extremely tough material, a poly, in my pond. It is nearly puncture proof and is lighter than most other materials. The draw back is that is thick and tough to work with. I would not use it in a pond again, but I would deffinately consider it for a bog. I used a more flexible poly for the bog.

Search pond liners on the internet and check the poly liners. A warning, the liner was fairly inexpensive, but the materials to fill it (bog) added up. good luck and the bog is worth it.

Back