What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultrasonic misters

• Thread starter cchang
  • Start date
Here's a question for people using Ultrasonic Misters in their terrariums....

Do you keep the ultrasonic unit submerged 24/7 or do you periodically remove the unit to let it dry?
smile.gif

i leave mine underwater always except to clean the unit and the container it sits in...
andrew

Same here. It stays submerged all the time except for cleaning and such. So far no problems with doing that as long as I clean the unit, it gets pretty dirty in there!
smile.gif

can you recommend one and a source?

joe

joseph,

You can purchase an ultrasonic mister at many home and hardware stores that sell gardening supplies. Most people use it in ponds and fountains to create fog effect from normal water.

Here in Canada, I purchased it from Canadian Tire. It's a seasonal item so they store it away during the winter and bring it back out in spring. There are many brands but I suspect they all come from the same manufacturer. All the pictures I've seen are the same...

smile.gif

Joseph, I got a nice little one off of the web from a company based here in california. I forgot the name of it, but I will look it up for you when I get home tonight.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joseph @ Nov. 15 2002,7:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">can you recommend one and a source?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
PM me.
wink.gif

Hey Joseph and carniv newbie, I PMed you the product and company I got mine from.
wink.gif

Just put "ultrasonic fogger" or "mist maker" on search
and you would get lot of sources to buy them
be sure to use distilled water and keep the light away so no alage would start to grow in the water.
when the disk start to get some dirt clean it carefully so it would hold for longer time I use to keep spare disks as the hold for 3 months or so but with extra care even longer.
I use this source to get them but sure they are many others
http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html
Arie
Btw Do not operate fogger more than 8 hours per day.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (carniverous newbie @ Nov. 15 2002,10:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
can you recommend one and a source?
<span id='postcolor'>
PM me.
wink.gif
[/quote]
Perhaps I was too subtle. I know a good source!
smile.gif

lol Arie,

That's exactly where I got mine! The company is somewhat close to my home, I was thinking about driving over there to see what they had setup in their offices!

Dang! I knew I forgot something.... I forgot to check to see if the store I bought my mister stocks spare membranes ("discs"). Well, at least I have one spare that came with the unit.
biggrin.gif

WOW thats kool ...... Dose home depot sell them
confused.gif
? Anyone know?

_-West-_

If your talking about the pond fogger version, no. I have seen one that may be a typical living room ultrasonic humidifier. This is of course bias to the homedepot where I live.

joe

This looks like a very cool idea for my small Nep terrarium (thanks arie) any trouble with fungus?

Ultrasonic misters are great for Neps... atleast mine LOVED it. My mister just broke a couple of days ago... bad unit I guess. I'll try and fix it tonight.

All Home Depot's in the Toronto Area DO NOT carry ultrasonic misters.
smile.gif

I have never had trouble with fungus in my terrarium as a result of using the mister. It really helps pump up that humidity when needed!
wink.gif

smile.gif
 Thanks CN, this will be the first time I've tried planting the Neps directly, instead of the greenhouse version. I'm eagerly waiting for whatever plants will arrive from the sale and special order.

Back