Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I bought some new bulbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that link to the comparison page. I think it's rather alarming the way he spins his numbers, though. He makes it seem like the F40T12 is superior to the F32T8s, when in reality the F32T8s are more efficient. For example, the Philips alto warm white F32T8s produce 92 lumens per watt, but the "most efficient" F40T12s (the one you picked up) only produces 82.5. "Only" of course in this case is still incredibly amazing and efficient, but i think that oversight was a bit odd.

My new shoplights for my grow shelving are T8s, and they are very bright, plus i have the satisfaction of knowing that they are very efficient and (because they're Philips Alto 'Green Caps' ) have a very low amount of mercury compared to normal fluoresecents. (It's funny what excites some people, isn't it? ) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    I was just browsing the net....Check THIS one out!

envirolite---12,000 lumens!!!!!

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty impressive, eh? Only problem is, you gotta replace it every year, and it's MUCH more expensive than an HPS or MH bulb... If they'd not put the ballast in the bulb it would probably help defray costs, but maybe not.

My Growlist

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can use those bulbs for metal halide, I will DEFINATELY get it! The reason for that is because of the low heat. Typical metal halide bulbs produce tremendous amounts of heat (maybe I'm exadurating) and just sucks when you're trying to grow nepenthes in a controled indoor environment. Now I can get the same intense light, but without the heat [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] ! I think it would be worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think for the price, you could purchase a quad tube compact flourescent setup where you can choose your kelvins, actinics, whatever...

power compact quad tube setup I think costs around 120 bucks, 80 less than that, the bulbs do decrease (like every other bulb/tube) their luminiosity over a years time, but unlike this one, there are more of the lights to replace, so you can do it slowly, one at a time, and not burn your plants with a sudden and intense surge of radiant energy...

my 2 cents.

Power Compacts are the best flourescents on the market right now. I am going to buy some for my reef system, and I may end up getting them earlier than the tank, and testing the setup on my plants... I'll let you know.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rapture, the bulbs are stand-alone. You just need a standard light socket and reflector. That's what i was referring to - the bulb has the ballast built in to the base of it, which makes it very expensive.

I think it's a bad way to go, MH and HPS are both cheaper and not that much more inefficient, and there's also lest waste going into the landfill. I'm a fan of fluorescents myself, although i think the $7 HD T8 shoplights with the $2.8 HD Philips ALTO T8 bulbs that put out ~3000 lumens at 32 watts power consumption are still a better option than CF unless there's a need for very intense lighting over a small area (like a reef aquarium). CPs can get by just fine with the lighting density available from linear (normal) fluorescents.

I have CFs over my aquarium, and if i was doing it again, i'd probably go with linear fluorescents.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool
    I love nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you guys can help me since I'm new to growing cp. I have several new vfts and I would like to use some grow lights when the weather is bad. What do you guys recommend for my application? What watt bulbs and type?
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast