Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I bought some new bulbs.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hello, i went out a bought a few new bulbs today. came home and checked out the specs. i wanted to try a warm white bulb. so i picked up a Sylvania Designer Warm White Plus. this thing is pretty bright. so i started searching for its specs and found this pretty neat page. link to fluorescent bulb info . turns out mine is the most energy effecient in warm bulbs according to this page. perhaps you would want to look up the bulbs you have and see how they rate? make sure to read the notes so you understand what your looking at in the graphs. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Later,
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious as to why you wanted to try a warm white?
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    honestly, there was no reason at all. the lights I use are a combination of cool white, warm white and chroma50 ( there are more blue glow lights than golden ones). (4 40 watt bulbs over each row of plants) and they seem to be doing pretty good. but over the tank, I had a chroma50 and some "plant bulb" that put out a purple light. in this tank are my two D. ordensis 'mulligans lagoon' and the traps are not opening.I figure it's a light issue. and I saw this light at the store and bought it. is there some consensus that says warm whites are no good?
    Thanks,
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'warm white' has weighted more towards the red end of the spectrum. Most of the light useable to plants is in the blue spectrum. They do require some amounts of red light for proper growth and to promote flowering but excess would be little benefit. Hence the common use of 1 warm white with every few cool whites. If you use strictly a daylight type bulb like the chroma 50 you could use them alone without any problem. The big difficulty with artificial lighting is that it is difficult to measure the amount of light output useable to plants. Two bulbs with exactly the same lumen output could be significantly different on the spectral scale. Or even two bulbs with significantly different lumens could have the same PAR value (photosynthetic active radiation... ie light usable to the plant for photosynthesis) So no.. nothing inherently wrong with using a warm white as long as it is balanced.
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, I'll have to try out one of those bulbs, adnedarn! I use plant grow lights, I'm sure they are of no good, i will try one of these, hopefuly it will work out okay. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What makes you think the growlight bulbs are no good?
    T

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    someone mentioned PAR. the lower the kelven rating, the higher the par. in reef aquariums people buy these special murcuryt vapor bulbs called iwasaki'sm they are yellow and are like 5500 kelvin ( i think) but they have an incredible PAR rating.

i dont know about plants, but in corals, the higher par rating make the coral grow VERY fastwhen dissolved organics are lwoa nd calcium/alkilinity is in balance and high. unfortunatly, with the low kelven rating that coems with the high par, the corals are boring and brown alot of times. but 20,000 Kelvin bulbs (like 20K radiums) allow corals to turn beautiful shades of blue, and purple, ect, ect. but the corals growth slows down to very slow, and might stop.

i dont know fi that meant anything to you guys. maybe you can get something from it :-)

i used to grow corals :-)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spec, i am in no way saying that these should take over your lighting. i replaced one single bulb with this one. granted my D. ordensis that the traps never opend on are now opeining i cannot fully say that is because i removed the grow bulb and added this one. i use many different bulbs. over most my plants are 4 4 ft bulbs. and just about every one is different..... i am not too sure i have found the "perfect" bulbs yet.
    later,
    -Andrew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast