Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shower stall as a grow chamber

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords, I'm not much of a DIYer, but I think you'll at least need a 2X4 frame layed flat on the backside to stiffen it up and give it support. They would also give you something sturdier to mount additional shelves and lights to, down the road. Just my 2.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    schloaty, when you mentioned screwing the lights to the side, i was remided of a stand up tanning bed too. For that reason, I think it might be effective at getting all sides of the plants... If I'm not mistaken it would take less power than a metal halide, and produce less heat if a highland chamber is what you are aiming for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used to work construction and upkeep for high end housing for interior decorating and the such and ive seen huge showers in the middle of rooms or right against walls that were all glass. usually only one side to the wall and the other 3 out usually about 6x6 or 6x10. it might take about $500 more or less to build one probely less if you do it by yourself.
    you could mount an air conditioning unit in the growing area, i found a great one at lowes for $150 that has a thermostat on it. Its made for rooms no bigger than 10 -20 square foot or so it would be perfect. lowes also sells a high powerd florecents and their fixtures, they put out like double per tube what reg. tubes do, 6000 or 9000 lumens or something like that. and i had an idea for the glass to put that one way tinting film that is like a mirror on one side, on the glass so that you can see in but the light is reflected back at the plants.
    oh and if you have a friend who is a contractor youcan get stuff a lot cheaper, if he or she will let you purchase on their account.
    I am just going to use Pvc and that foil coated stirofoam insulation which you can get for some thing like $ 10 for a 10 x 6 ft sheet or some thing like that. then i will put a window unit AC in should only cost me $200 to put in a 10 x 10 room on my outside porch, maybe 300 withthe lights.

Joel [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swords, You will probably have to do some framing to make the unit rigid and structurally sound. This should not discourage you, but rather prepare you....

Ghrey
    What did you feed it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was back at the hardware store (not HD this time) and I found 4 ft x 8 ft sheets of fiberglass tub surround so I decided I would try and refurbish my highland tank with these walls and bottom (attached to a 2" x 2" frame) and seal it up with caulk. I also found a cheap 5 ft wide x 5 ft tall sliding shower door for $37.99 (cheaper than the next nepenthes I'm looking at! ) so I will definately build the lowlander tank myself now! I just could never find the uncut fiberglass wall panels and cheap sliding door before, now it's party time! The girlfriend made the best face yet when I came outta the hardware store tonight...!
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Must have been priceless. Does she also have botanical tendancies?
    What did you feed it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! I can imagine the neps cascading down with beautiful pitchers! You'll be saying, "Welcome to my neps collection. On your right is the....on the left is the...." Way to go, swords! It'll be a real master piece.

My boyfriend used to think I was mad when I converted an entire window for my CPs. Now, he's the one to fuss over them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Cindy @ Sep. 25 2002,02:49)
    My boyfriend used to think I was mad when I converted an entire window for my CPs. Now, he's the one to fuss over them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img][/QUOTE]
    Wow, I wish my boyfriend would be similarly converted!
    That shower stall thing soulnds AMAZING! If you do it will you post some pics so we can all copy you? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    Rosie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12